Anyone know if On Semi ever made IRF840

   Just bought some cheap IRF840's which turned up today with a poorly
printed part number and the ON Semi logo sloping downhill at an angle.

   I tried searching for the part number on their website but don't get
any hits so far so I'll keep looking at this stage.

     I popped the TO-220 packages on an old IR brand IRF840 and the
new item and they both appear to have a similar sized silicon die:
IR brand-6x4.5mm  ON brand-5.5x4mm

    Has anyone here ever bought IRF840's from ON semi?.

Re: Anyone know if On Semi ever made IRF840

   I found a Motorola datasheet for the IRF840 as a TMOS device so ON
may have made them after all.

http://pdf1.alldatasheet.com/datasheet-pdf/view/3045/MOTOROLA/IRF840.html

Re: Anyone know if On Semi ever made IRF840

Just got a reply back from ON Semi tech support in 15 minutes:

Hello Mark Harriss,

Thank you for contacting ON Semiconductor.

The IRF840 was manufactured by ON Semi in the past but it was
discontinued back in December 2001.

Best Regards, JanG
ON Semiconductor
Technical Support Center

Re: Anyone know if On Semi ever made IRF840
put finger to keyboard and composed:

This URL may be able to answer those questions:
http://www.usbid.com/search/AddPartNoLogin_action.cfm

- Franc Zabkar