Anyone ever restuffed bumble bee caps?

I was watching some youtube videos for restuffing electrolytics and wax paper caps. I see no reason to do the wax paper ones, but I may try a electrolytic can some day. But nowhere did they show anyone restuffing the bumble bees. I dont plan to do it, but I'd like to see if its possible. Those were some of the most colorful caps ever made, and those would be the ones I'd want to preserve, if I had a lot of time to waste.

Reply to
tubeguy

Sounds difficult. Repainting some old round plastic film caps might be easier, perhaps adding putty to get the right shape/size.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

I will usually restuff a can electro just to keep things tidy, but I never understood the need to restuff leaded caps. I restored an Fender amp for a guy who wanted the wax caps restuffed, and he paid for the time. So..

I've never restuffed a Bumblebee, but maybe locking it down and boring with a small lathe will give adequate room without destroying the case. Capping it with black epoxy and shaping with a Dremel may give the look you want.

What ever floats your boat.

Reply to
John-Del

the need to restuff leaded caps. I restored an Fender amp for a guy who wanted the wax caps restuffed, and he paid for the time. So..

lathe will give adequate room without destroying the case. Capping it with black epoxy and shaping with a Dremel may give the look you want.

A yt video shows the easy way to restuff wax-paper types. He heats them with a heat gun and pulls out the guts. Real easy..... But the epoxy coated ones seem a lot more difficult.

Id like to design a tool to easily open the crimped over bottom edge on alum can caps.

Reply to
tubeguy