AM Reception

FM reception on my NAD pre amp is good however, not so for AM.
Any ideas re aerial or whatever
Robby

Re: AM Reception

"Robby"

 ** An aerial is always a good idea for a radio tuner.

Describe what AM aerial you have now and what is wrong with your reception
and if it is the same with all stations.

Also - how far are you from the transmitters ?

........  Phil

Re: AM Reception

Careful Robby,

Philthy Phil, (a.k.a. Toaster Boi) - the all round crackpot and net-stalker
is making an attempt to work out where you live.  Any assumption that he is
trying to be helpful is a smokescreen.  if you don't believe me, then take a
look over in aus.hi-fi and see for yourself.

BTW:  Most hi-fi tuners have a pretty useless loopstick antenna which is
part of the front-end tuning for the AM section.  Unless you are a long way
from the transmitters you should be getting reasonable AM reception.  The
orientation of the loopstick antenna will determine it's pick up sensitivity
to a particular station.  The user manual for your receiver should make
mention of this.  A length of wire connected to the AM antenna input should
improve your reception.

Cheers,
Alan

Re: AM Reception

"Alan Rutlidge"

** Careful Robby,

This Rutmaniac Arse Bandit Fuckwit is one usenet know nothing troll to
*definitely* avoid.

..........  Phil

Re: AM Reception

Got that peep hole in your door cleaned Jug Boi?

Re: AM Reception

"Alan Rutlidge"

** Better keep an eye on any baseball players you see -  Arse Bandit
Fuckwit.

..........  Phil

Re: AM Reception

On Fri, 2 Dec 2005 14:38:44 +0800, "Alan Rutlidge"

plonk.....

Re: AM Reception

On Fri, 02 Dec 2005 23:12:45 +1000, The Real Andy

Dank, free agent aint so free any more.. Ctrl K only works if you pay.
I guess a few dollars is well worth it.

Re: AM Reception

**What specific problems do you have?

You should know that for decades (since the widespread introduction of FM)
most manufacturers have paid little attention to the design of the AM stages
in their receivers. Using different antennae is kinda like shifting a deck
chair on the Titanic. If AM is important to you, seek out an Audiosound
(Australian made) or Allen Wright tuner. Both are capable of exceptional
results. If you want to work within a budget and have some technical skills,
seek out an Australian made car radio (AWA made many) from the 1960s. These
are also capable of exceptional performance. Off to the wreckers and find an
FC Holden.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Re: AM Reception

part of the reason (apart from bandwidth) is a diode is used to take the
sound off the IF for a sound detector,
a diode is a non-linear device and that is were you get the problems like
distortion

for better quality AM take a closer look at "am  stereo"  receiver even if
"your"  radio station does not boardcast in  "am  stereo"  the mono sound
will sound a lot better than a radio receiver made with just a (crappie)
diode for the sound detector.

for more on   "am  stereo"  plug it into google and do a bit of reading.

take my word for it I have made a  "am  stereo"  using the Harris system, it
will never sound as good as FM (well we know that  already) bit it sound
heaps better than a standard AM radio. From EA magazine many years ago, I
believe Dick Smith had the kit, also Silicon Chip, (or was the Australian
electronics magazine before that ETI)

FM reception on my NAD pre amp is good however, not so for AM.
Any ideas re aerial or whatever
Robby

Re: AM Reception

"Eric"

**  Diode AM detectors can produce very low distortion.

 Two tricks are used:

1.  Apply a small voltage to a germanium diode to bias it on slightly.

2.  Use a fairly large IF signal voltage to the diode  ( maybe 10 volts rms)
so diode non-linearity becomes insignificant.

Site Timeline