X11R6?

I am trying to compile/install pgm last built from wheezy onto a rpi running buster os.  The make and Makefile refer to /usr/X11R6 which doesn't exist in buster.  What to do?  (pgm in question is gsport-0.31, a apple IIGS emulator).
file vars links to vars_pi.
  --Steven

Re: X11R6?

You've probably got directories such as /usr/bin/X11 and
/usr/include/X11. /usr/X11R6 is supposed to include those
same directories, like this:

$ ls /usr/X11R6
bin      include  lib      man      share

So if it's not easy to adapt the Makefile to using the X11
directories, you want to make a /usr/X11R6 directory and symlink
all the /usr/bin/X11 directories inside there, eg.
$ sudo mkdir /usr/X11R6
$ sudo ln -s /usr/bin/X11 /usr/X11R6/bin
$ sudo ln -s /usr/include/X11 /usr/X11R6/include
etc.

Of course you'll want to install the -dev package for Xorg as
well.

--
__          __
#_ < |\| |< _#

Re: X11R6?
Thank you Kev(?).  I think I have the X11 issue resolved.  But 'make' still
 doesn't make it (punny).

pi@raspberrypi4:~/gsport-0.31/src $ make
g++ -O2 -Wall -fomit-frame-pointer -std=gnu99 -march=armv6  adb.o clock
.o config.o dis.o engine_c.o scc.o iwm.o joystick_driver.o moremem.o paddle
s.o parallel.o printer.o sim65816.o smartport.o sound.o sound_driver.o vide
o.o scc_socket_driver.o imagewriter.o scc_imagewriter.o scc_llap.o tfe/tfe.
o tfe/tfearch.o tfe/tfesupp.o atbridge/aarp.o atbridge/atbridge.o atbridge/
elap.o atbridge/llap.o atbridge/port.o  atbridge/pcap_delay.o xdriver.o com
pile_time.o  -o gsportx -L/usr/X11R6/lib -lXext -lX11
/usr/bin/ld: atbridge/pcap_delay.o: undefined reference to symbol 'dlopen@@
GLIBC_2.4'
/usr/bin/ld: //lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/libdl.so.2: error adding symbols: DS
O missing from command line
make: *** [Makefile:66: gsportx] Error 1
pi@raspberrypi4:~/gsport-0.31/src $

I have no idea where to debug.
  --Steven

Re: X11R6?

Well the linker is missing a library that the source code requires,
adding "-ldl" to the end of the g++ command should work. If it has
a common sort of configure script, try:
$ LIBS=-ldl ./configure [any other args that you've been using]

If it's a handmade Makefile, you'll just have to find where
"-lXext -lX11" is specified and add " -ldl" on the end.

--
__          __
#_ < |\| |< _#

Re: X11R6?
ock.o config.o dis.o engine_c.o scc.o iwm.o joystick_driver.o moremem.o pad
dles.o parallel.o printer.o sim65816.o smartport.o sound.o sound_driver.o v
ideo.o scc_socket_driver.o imagewriter.o scc_imagewriter.o scc_llap.o tfe/t
fe.o tfe/tfearch.o tfe/tfesupp.o atbridge/aarp.o atbridge/atbridge.o atbrid
ge/elap.o atbridge/llap.o atbridge/port.o atbridge/pcap_delay.o xdriver.o c
ompile_time.o -o gsportx -L/usr/X11R6/lib -lXext -lX11
en@@GLIBC_2.4'
: DSO missing from command line
Thank you!  That solved the make errors.  But the resulting executable (gsp
ortx) fails with a segmentation fault.  Grrr
  --Steven

Re: X11R6?

Ah, well that will probably be a bit more in-depth to fix. The
only easy option might be if there's a current package for
some other Linux or BSD, the package maintainers might have
already made their own patch to get around that problem.

Otherwise you could report a bug to the software's author, or
try debugging the code yourself.

If you can turn off features with command-line arguments to
gsportx, maybe see if you can get it to avoid the bit of code
causing the seg fault.

--
__          __
#_ < |\| |< _#

Re: X11R6?

From time to time I admire this news group/mailing list.
OP is trying to compile something that was working in Wheezy for Buster!!!
Do you know when Wheezy went out of support? Do you know how Debian changed
meanwhile? I see last update of this code was 2017 and it is written for
x86.
So you have to rework a lot of the code and the autotool files to make it
work. This means if you do not understand programming, better leave it.
If you understand programming ... well you wouldn't be writing here :)

I suggest you git clone https://github.com/david-schmidt/gsport and try your
luck. Chances to succeed are much higher. Note that this is x86 code and
you have to add x86 to the system. Install the required dev packages
(basically follow the README). Good luck

Re: X11R6?

Well the homepage describes build instructions for the Raspberry
Pi, and unless a program is written in assembly there's no
immediate reason to assume it won't build on ARM even if only
tested on x86 by the developer.

Actually this reminds me (especially the topic name) of my recent
attempts building XFree86 for the Pi Zero running Raspbian Buster.
That software hasn't been updated since before Raspberry Pis even
existed, and although it supposably supported building on ARM, this
turned out to be broken in the last release (or else GCC worked
_very_ differently with certain bits of code back then). After
working through a much longer string of similar problems (first
just trying to build the Makefiles), and even a similar seg fault
problem, I did get it running in the end. I've got a very long log
of all the changes I had to make - being able to compare code with
Xorg offered a good way to cheat, except where subsystems had been
completely rewritten since XFree86.

One hopes that an emulator like this would be a lot easier than
that though. XFree86 ties into a lot of lower-level stuff which is
more architecture-dependent than most other software needs to be.
Plus it's HUGE (the Makefiles still had rules for building on a 486
- I can only assume that those people are still waiting for it to
finish compiling :) ).

--
__          __
#_ < |\| |< _#

Re: X11R6?

Only if it hasn't made assumptions about x86 structure packing,
non-aligned accesses, and a lot of other subtle architecture pitfalls.

---druck

Re: X11R6?

+10001
However that may not stop it building - just working :-)

twenty-first century?s developed world went into hysterical panic over a
Re: X11R6?

Welcome to version, and dependency, hell.

private property.

Re: X11R6?

I bet the link I sent would be more usable than his code copy from 2017 ;-)

this is like complaining that my sons shoes from 3y ago do not fit him
anymore. Well, children grow up so does software. It is very hard to keep
up with all the changes

Re: X11R6?
Does this help?

http://ivanx.com/raspberrypi/raspberrypi_emulators.html

Re: X11R6?
Sorry, the ivanx and dschmenk scripts are intended for Debian 7 (wheezy).  Buster is Debian 10.  The 2013 instructions no longer work!  But thanks for looking.
  --Steven

Site Timeline