What is hello_pi that I find in /opt/vc?

I was just looking at what uses space on my DNS server Pi and found that there is a program (suite?) called hello_pi installed in /opt/vc.

Is this something that comes with a standard Pi installation or is it something I installed a long time ago and forgot about? The README file just tells how to build it, not what it does.

I see it's also on my other Pi (backup server) so I guess it must come with the standard Pi installation.

I assume I can just remove it?

--
Chris Green
Reply to

Have a look at

--

-TV
Reply to

/opt/vc is where the demo programs for the VideoCore, the Pi's GPU, live. Originally they were a collection of video playing/3D graphics/etc demos. As shown by the link posted in this thread, they're also been used for tutorials about how to run things, but that wasn't the original intention.

(the 2011 Pi prototype had them there, so I think they were part of the original Broadcom SD image, pre-Raspbian, and they've been kept in the image)

Theo

Reply to
Theo