vlc

Hello,

how can i play video (with sound) via hdmi with vlc? OS is raspian.

omxplayer cannot play the file. On my laptop with debian vlc plays the file.

Thanks, Schultze

--

                                                   James Russell Lowell
Reply to

Install VLC on Raspbian?

--

Chris Elvidge, England
Reply to

VLC on Raspian with a weak processor and hardware acceleration that vlc doesn't understand does not in any way equate to VLC on Windows or Linux.

--

Brian Gregory (in England).
Reply to

I'm logged in via ssh. When I start the vlc (vlc file.m2ts) it trys to play the video in the terminal. There is nothing at the hdmi port. The omxplayer plays over hdmi.

--

                                                William Ewart Gladstone
Reply to

Yeah, omxplayer writes directly to the framebuffer ("video RAM"), vlc to the regular screen. On ssh, you are not attached to the regular screen, so you need to tell vlc to use it. Try this, not tested:

DISPLAY=:0 vlc file.m2ts

Reply to
A. Dumas

A. Dumas schrieb:

It failed.

--
Diskutiere nicht mit Idioten, sie ziehen dich auf ihr Niveau, und
schlagen dich dort mit ihrer Erfahrung!

It seems to be a problem with the file. The omxplayer give me this message: COMXAudio::Decode timeout

--
Die Wirklichkeit ist nichts als eine kollektive Vermutung.
                                                        Lily Tomlin

"Thanks for your reply. Interesting idea, I didn't know about the DISPLAY environment variable. Unfortunately, it didn't work. Perhaps the syntax is not right, I will try and google some more info. Cheers."

Asshole.

Reply to
A. Dumas

Can a regular Window$ or Linux PC play that video clip?

-- @~@ Remain silent! Drink, Blink, Stretch! Live long and prosper!! / v \ Simplicity is Beauty! /( _ )\ May the Force and farces be with you! ^ ^ (x86_64 Ubuntu 9.10) Linux 2.6.39.3 ???! ???! ???! ???! ???! ???! ????? (CSSA):

Mr. Man-wai Chang

This is how I set up teh environment to play videios on te client that connectes via ssh

#!/bin/sh # start in the right place cd /var/videos # this fixes some errors that I don't understand export $(dbus-launch) #detect IP address of remote client IP=`echo $SSH_CONNECTION | awk '{print $1}'` #redirect pulse audio to it PULSE_SERVER=$IP:'4713' # set default X display to remote client DISPLAY=$IP:0.0 # DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS="" export PULSE_SERVER export DISPLAY

It occusr to me that setting IP to localhost or 127.0.0.1 maight reduirect sound top where you want iot.

Obviously video will never work since ssh does not give a graphical windowed interface that VLC can connect to.

So I am in any case not clear on what you are tring to do.

Also you may need to ensure that sound is being directed to the HDMI port by default.

kind word alone.

Al Capone
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Ah great, perhaps that was the trick.

Reply to
A. Dumas

yes. VLX weill be looking fdor an Xserver to send the dosplay to, if not 'lovcalhost'; trhen selewhere.,

But it also needs to know where to send the sound. PULSEAUDIO or perhaps ALSA something?

I developed that script for kaffiene, not VLC, tho

--
In todays liberal progressive conflict-free education system, everyone
gets full Marx.

A. Dumas schrieb:

Sorry, I didn't understand all the messages from vlc. I try to copy. After I exported the DISPLAY=:0 and start vlc, I got these:

(*) DirectFB/Core: Single Application Core. (2017-01-15 22:35) (!) System/DevMem: Please supply 'video-phys = 0xXXXXXXXX' and 'video-length = XXXX' options! (!) DirectFB/Core: Could not initialize 'system_core' core! --> Invalid argument! [0162fea8] directfb vout display error: Cannot create primary surface [0162fea8] fb vout display error: cannot get terminal mode (Inappropriate ioctl for device) [0162fea8] caca vout display error: cannot initialize libcaca [b3a45038] core video output error: video output creation failed [b3d0b228] core decoder error: failed to create video output

Sound is at the TV, but no Video.

Schultze

--
I've got nothing against God. It's his Fan Club I can't stand.
Reply to

A. Dumas schrieb:

Sorry again, there is more output:

VLC media player 2.2.6 Umbrella (revision 2.2.6-0-g1aae78981c)

[01f4bfa8] core interface error: no suitable interface module [01e94918] core libvlc error: interface "globalhotkeys,none" initialization failed [01f4ef30] qt4 interface error: Could not connect to X server [01f4ef30] skins2 interface error: cannot initialize OSFactory [01f4ef30] [cli] lua interface: Listening on host "*console". VLC media player 2.2.6 Umbrella Command Line Interface initialized. Type `help' for help.
[01f64298] xcb vout display error: window not available [01f64298] xcb vout display error: window not available [01f64298] xcb vout display error: window not available commandline read: vlc commandline read: Video.mpg

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~| DirectFB 1.2.10 |~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ (c) 2001-2008 The world wide DirectFB Open Source Community (c) 2000-2004 Convergence (integrated media) GmbH ----------------------------------------------------------------

(*) DirectFB/Core: Single Application Core. (2017-01-15 22:35) (!) System/DevMem: Please supply 'video-phys = 0xXXXXXXXX' and 'video-length = XXXX' options! (!) DirectFB/Core: Could not initialize 'system_core' core! --> Invalid argument! [0162fea8] directfb vout display error: Cannot create primary surface [0162fea8] fb vout display error: cannot get terminal mode (Inappropriate ioctl for device) [0162fea8] caca vout display error: cannot initialize libcaca [b3a45038] core video output error: video output creation failed [b3d0b228] core decoder error: failed to create video output

Schultze

--

nimmt.
                                                        Hermann Hesse

I am confused.

Is ther an xserver running on the pi at all?

If so, why are you not using a GUI to start VLC?

-- Those who want slavery should have the grace to name it by its proper name. They must face the full meaning of that which they are advocating or condoning; the full, exact, specific meaning of collectivism, of its logical implications, of the principles upon which it is based, and of the ultimate consequences to which these principles will lead. They must face it, then decide whether this is what they want or not.

Ayn Rand.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The Natural Philosopher schrieb:

No. I'm logged in via ssh and the output shall be on a TV via hdmi.

Schultze

--
Die USA versuchen im Irak die Demokratie zu etablieren.
Wenn es gelingt, dann wollen sie es bei sich auch ausprobieren.

And how do you expect the Pi to form an HDMI picture without an X server?

You need to start an X server on the pi, so that essentially you end up similar to what I have here - a TV acting as a monitor to a stock linux system. That I control with e.g. a stripped down wireless keyboard.

You CAN control via SSH, but its nice to have a 'remote' that works teh TV....

--
I would rather have questions that cannot be answered...
...than to have answers that cannot be questioned

Richard Feynman
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Running Kodi my Pi Zero responds to the TV remote. There is also a web interface that you can run from e.g. a mobile device.

Reply to
Rob Morley

WTF does an X server have to do with HDMI?

I have a Pi that I boot to getty and guess what? It shows me the text login prompt on HDMI. I have no solution for Michael's problem, as I never use vlc and don't know it's quirks, but I think you are leading him down some crazy and irrelevant paths.

If I were Michael, I'd start looking at the various video output modules in vlc to see what could be done with the non-X outputs.

Call this me questioning your answers.

Elijah

------ hasn't done much video watching on Pi

Reply to
Eli the Bearded

To less memory. It's fixed now

--
Gehirn: ein Organ, mit dem wir denken, dass wir denken.
                                                        Ambrose Bierce