Problem with mplayer/ftp hangs

I have got my Pi running raspbian playing net radio using mplayer.
Works fine.
We have a Topfiled 5800 PVR fronted with an Asus NSLU2, AKA slug,
running custom firmware. One can access the PVR from the LAN by ftping
to the Asus. Works fine.
On my laptop using mplayer I can issue the following:
mplayer ftp://foo:bar@slug/DataFiles/some_recording.rec
and mplayer plays the video.
From the Pi I can ftp to the slug and browse the PVR's directories no
problem. But if I try the above mplayer command it hangs. Killing
mplayer and ftping *from any box on the lan*, including the Pi, works
as far as logging in but then as soon as you issue *any* command it
hangs. The only "cure" is to power cycle the PVR.
pi@raspbpi-radio:~$ mplayer
ftp://foo:bar@slug/DataFiles/Click_20130928.rec
MPlayer svn r34540 (Debian), built with gcc-4.6 (C) 2000-2012 MPlayer
Team
mplayer: could not connect to socket
mplayer: No such file or directory
Failed to open LIRC support. You will not be able to use your remote
control.
Playing ftp://foo:bar@slug/DataFiles/Click_20130928.rec.
Resolving slug for AF_INET...
Connecting to server slug[192.168.0.106]: 21...
Streams need a type!
libavformat version 53.21.1 (external)
Mismatching header version 53.19.0
[ftp] read timed out
[ftp] Server didn't abort correctly:
Seek failed
[ftp] read timed out
[ftp] read timed out
[ftp] read timed out
MPlayer interrupted by signal 2 in module: demux_open
[ftp] read timed out
MPlayer interrupted by signal 2 in module: demux_open
pi@raspbpi-radio:~$
After this the tty is screwed up needing a "stty sane" :-)
So there is *something* about mplayer on the Pi in ftp mode. Any ideas
where to look next? Google has turned nothing up.
TIA
--
Regards
Dave Saville

(in-ep-toc?-ra-cy) ? a system of government where the least capable to
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher
I can FTP in and list directories *before* running mplayer. Afterwards I can only FTP in - from anywhere. No firewalls involved. Just rebooted and tried a FTP bin get and it works fine. Mplayer will play the resulting file but badly. Suspect it can't get the data off the SD card quick enough.
And you say that because?
--
Regards
Dave Saville
Reply to
Dave Saville
Well apt-get update only lists *rasbian.org and *raspberrypi.org. I have done an apt-get upgrade. I have done nothing to get anything from elsewhere that I am aware of.
--
Regards
Dave Saville

John.
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
John Rumm
Thanks to the Toppy forum I now have a USB reset TAP so no more power cycles.
Yup -know about that.
Works.
No. But I can only talk to the Pi over SSH as I do not have a USB keyboard so any GUI tool is out. At least I assume omxplayer is.
FWIW I just installed mplayer on my Ubuntu laptop and it does *exactly* the same thing. Mplayer on my OS/2 laptop plays files over ftp from the Toppy just fine. And I have dim recollection from some time back when I could not get mplayer to work at all on Ubuntu that VLC would also play files via ftp from the Toppy.
--
Regards
Dave Saville

John.
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
John Rumm
But will it play from an FTP URL? I quick look at the docs suggests not.
As Ubuntu got an upgrade since I tried mplayer I installed mplayer again yesterday - and it now plays video.
Pointing it at the Toppy fails in exactly the same way as on the Pi. But works perfectly from my OS/2 Warp box.
--
Regards
Dave Saville