Using a socks proxy

How do I make my pi use a socks proxy and create a tunnel on startup?

Using Raspbmc.

Reply to
Bill

I think you need an odd-sock daemon..:-)

-- Ineptocracy

(in-ep-toc?-ra-cy) ? a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

This is not rPI dependent, just some linux networking stuff.

which programs should use the proxy? setting export http_proxy="http://username: snipped-for-privacy@example.com:8080" should enable most command line tools to use the proxy (apt-get, wget ...)

Most applications have their own way to configure the , others may work using tsocks...

I don't know about a system wide setting, but I'm not a pro :)

greez

Reply to
Stefan Enzinger

He said "Using Raspbmc". So he probably wants XBMC to use the proxy.

That is for a http proxy, not a socks proxy.

XBMC has a menu setting for the proxy, but it uses a http proxy. I have Raspbmc myself and I noticed that when you define the proxy in the menu, it works only for media streaming and not for the update functionality of XBMC itself.

For that, it is required to edit /etc/wgetrc and define the proxy there as well, or probably it will also work when the export http_proxy command as you mentioned is put somewhere where it affects the relevant environments. (e.g. /etc/profile)

However, that still is a http proxy. Socks proxy, I don't know.

He also mentions creating a tunnel. probably when he gets that working, no proxy is required anymore.

It depends on the kind of tunnel. You can add a file to /etc/init.d and setup the required tunnel there. Or in /etc/rc.local when it is no problem that it is only created after everything is started.

Reply to
Rob