USB Speaker for Pi 3

In message , John Aldridge writes

Thanks.

It says that it will play for 15 hours, but it gives no indication as to what the battery life is if it is turned on, but not playing (e.g. standby). Something else that I didn't mention in the original post, is that this would be on 7*24, although it may not be used at all on any given day. So anything battery powered is unlikely to be suitable.

Adrian

--
To Reply :
 Click to see the full signature

HDMI audio is pretty much the same, no matter the source. For Kodi boxes and such, HDMI on the RPi will handle multichannel PCM, or pretty much any lossy or lossless format that your A/V receiver can handle. It's indistinguishable from a desktop PC, a standalone Blu-ray or DVD player, or any other source.

_/_ / v \ Scott Alfter (remove the obvious to send mail) (IIGS(

Top-posting! \_^_/ >What's the most annoying thing on Usenet?

Reply to
Scott Alfter

It charges over USB, and plays while charging, so you could just leave it plugged in. But it does seem to turn itself off after a period of inactivity, so that may be a killer in your application.

John

Reply to
John Aldridge

I knocked up my own. Bought a little class D audio driver board like this ...

wired power (5 volts) from the RPI GPIO pins, and wired a connection from the audio output as input, and hooked up a small lowpower 8ohm speaker. At 1 watt it will pull a little more than 0.2A from the RPI PSU, so make sure you have the power budget. But when it was quiet it pulls a lot less - sorry not measured it, but being class D it should be pretty low.

Reply to
Jim Jackson

It has a physical on-off power switch. Just switched mine of after a long period of being switched off and it came up right away.

--
Cheers,
David
 Click to see the full signature