how to get Zoom audio to work with Pi 4B in Chromium

Is there a known way to get two-way audio working for Zoom in the Chromium browser that comes in Raspbian Buster on a Pi 4B?

Does the Zoom test meeting do audio? (

)

Thank you.

--
Robert Riches
spamtrap42@jacob21819.net

Which camera are you using for zoom and does it have a built in microphone.

Is there a known way to get two-way audio working for Zoom in the Chromium browser that comes in Raspbian Buster on a Pi 4B?

Does the Zoom test meeting do audio? (

)

Thank you.

--
Robert Riches
spamtrap42@jacob21819.net
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
MJP

Yes, the Pi itself does not have audio input, so you would have to add a microphone. Can be a separate device via USB, or via the GPIO connector, or it can be built-in to the USB webcam you're using. (The Pi camera does not have a microphone.)

Reply to
A. Dumas

"Robert Riches" wrote

| Is there a known way to get two-way audio working for Zoom in the | Chromium browser that comes in Raspbian Buster on a Pi 4B? |

I tried getting that going at one point with a webcam. I found this list:

As you can see, there are finicky issues. With a cheap Logitech (270, I think) I got a crummy picture and no audio. I didn't look any further. The woman I live with needed Zoom for work, so I ended up helping her to pick a Win10 laptop. :) I'm only using the Pi for streaming Internet/movies to a TV.

On the bright side, the HP laptop with a big screen was only about $600. It turns out the thinner and chintzier you want them, the more they cost. A nearly useless MS Surface costs more than twice the HP. Yet the HP has a DVD writer and ethernet port, while the Surface has about $1,000 worth of thinness.

Reply to
Mayayana

Thank you for that link. That's a great resource!

I'll be replying with more details to another post in the thread.

--
Robert Riches
spamtrap42@jacob21819.net
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Robert Riches

Thank you for the info.

For external hardware, I have tried or plan to try three setups:

1) a USB headset, Logitech, h340; 2) add the built-in webcam in an Asus VK266 monitor, this USB ID:

ID 04f2:b11c Chicony Electronics Co., Ltd

3) a Logitech C920S webcam, with either its built-in microphone or the h340 USB headset. After checking _many_ times, I finally found it in stock at Staples online. It is scheduled to arrive in a few/several days.

Between my first question post and now, I did more experimenting and found that a major part of the key is in browser settings to allow Zoom in the browser to use the microphone and/or camera. There was a great page that has some great screenshots, but I evidently did not bookmark it and could not find in 7 days of history. The screenshots were for Chrome, but they were fairly close to what Chromium has.

One key thing is that after changing the settings in Chromium, it appeared to be necessary to restart the browser before the change would be reflected in the Zoom test. It _might_ have been necessary to reboot the Pi.

I still was not able to confirm that the audio was working.

With the built-in webcam in the Asus monitor, the picture quality appeared not exactly exceptional.

Thanks.

--
Robert Riches
spamtrap42@jacob21819.net
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Robert Riches

Its also worth looking on eBay: you can find real bargains there.

Three years ago I picked up an i5-based Lenovo T420 with 8GB RAM, 1600 x

900 screen and 500GB disk. Judging from condition and hours it had about a year's use on it and cost GBP 300. It was and still is in very good nick and, like all Lenovos, it runs Fedora Linux like it was designed for it and has been very reliable.
Martin    | martin at
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Martin Gregorie