how to get Zoom audio to work with Pi 4B in Chromium

Is there a known way to get two-way audio working for Zoom in the
Chromium browser that comes in Raspbian Buster on a Pi 4B?

Does the Zoom test meeting do audio?  ( https://zoom.us/test )

Thank you.

--
Robert Riches
snipped-for-privacy@jacob21819.net

"Robert Riches"  wrote in message

Is there a known way to get two-way audio working for Zoom in the
Chromium browser that comes in Raspbian Buster on a Pi 4B?

Does the Zoom test meeting do audio?  ( https://zoom.us/test )

Thank you.

--
Robert Riches
snipped-for-privacy@jacob21819.net
Re: how to get Zoom audio to work with Pi 4B in Chromium

Yes, the Pi itself does not have audio input, so you would have to add a
microphone. Can be a separate device via USB, or via the GPIO connector,
or it can be built-in to the USB webcam you're using. (The Pi camera
does not have a microphone.)

Re: how to get Zoom audio to work with Pi 4B in Chromium

Thank you for the info.

For external hardware, I have tried or plan to try three setups:

    1)  a USB headset, Logitech, h340;

    2)  add the built-in webcam in an Asus VK266 monitor, this
        USB ID:

            ID 04f2:b11c Chicony Electronics Co., Ltd

    3)  a Logitech C920S webcam, with either its built-in microphone
        or the h340 USB headset.  After checking _many_ times, I
        finally found it in stock at Staples online.  It is
        scheduled to arrive in a few/several days.

Between my first question post and now, I did more experimenting
and found that a major part of the key is in browser settings to
allow Zoom in the browser to use the microphone and/or camera.
There was a great page that has some great screenshots, but I
evidently did not bookmark it and could not find in 7 days of
history.  The screenshots were for Chrome, but they were fairly
close to what Chromium has.

One key thing is that after changing the settings in Chromium, it
appeared to be necessary to restart the browser before the change
would be reflected in the Zoom test.  It _might_ have been
necessary to reboot the Pi.

I still was not able to confirm that the audio was working.

With the built-in webcam in the Asus monitor, the picture quality
appeared not exactly exceptional.

Thanks.

--
Robert Riches
snipped-for-privacy@jacob21819.net
Re: how to get Zoom audio to work with Pi 4B in Chromium

| Is there a known way to get two-way audio working for Zoom in the
| Chromium browser that comes in Raspbian Buster on a Pi 4B?

  I tried getting that going at one point with a
webcam. I found this list:

https://elinux.org/RPi_USB_Webcams

   As you can see, there are finicky issues. With
a cheap Logitech (270, I think) I got a crummy picture
and no audio. I didn't look any further. The woman I
live with needed Zoom for work, so I ended up helping
her to pick a Win10 laptop. :) I'm only using the Pi for
streaming Internet/movies to a TV.

  On the bright side, the HP laptop with a big screen was
only about $600. It turns out the thinner and chintzier
you want them, the more they cost. A nearly useless
MS Surface costs more than twice the HP. Yet the HP
has a DVD writer and ethernet port, while the Surface
has about $1,000 worth of thinness.

Re: how to get Zoom audio to work with Pi 4B in Chromium

Thank you for that link.  That's a great resource!

I'll be replying with more details to another post in the thread.