How to fix the Dirty COW vulnerability on Raspberry Pi

26 Oct 16 16:52, you wrote to All:

JE> Dirty COW is a privilege escalation vulnerability found in the Linux JE> kernel. Although it's been there for nine years,

eleven years...

JE> it's only recently been identified.

nope... linus tried to fix it way back when it first came to light but the fix mucked up on the S390 so it was removed (bug reintroduced)... now that the S390 has been fixed, the COW bug can be fixed again...

JE> The vulnerability, which affects the 'copy-on-write' (COW) mechanism, JE> can be found in most Linux distros, and since the Raspberry Pi runs JE> Linux, it too is at risk. SEE ALSO: Serious Dirty COW bug leaves JE> millions of Linux users vulnerable to attack Fortunately, the bug has JE> been patched, and you can get it now. If you're running Raspbian JE> Jessie, open up a terminal window and type: sudo apt-get update sudo JE> apt-get install raspberrypi-kernel As soon as the... [Continue JE> Reading]

if betanews wrote the above, you might want to let them know their facts are incorrect ;)

)\/(ark

Always Mount a Scratch Monkey Do you manage your own servers? If you are not running an IDS/IPS yer doin' it wrong... ... Beer is the reason I get up every afternoon.

Reply to
mark lewis

Dirty COW is a privilege escalation vulnerability found in the Linux kernel. Although it's been there for nine years, it's only recently been identified. The vulnerability, which affects the 'copy-on-write' (COW) mechanism, can be found in most Linux distros, and since the Raspberry Pi runs Linux, it too is at risk. SEE ALSO: Serious Dirty COW bug leaves millions of Linux users vulnerable to attack Fortunately, the bug has been patched, and you can get it now. If you're running Raspbian Jessie, open up a terminal window and type: sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get install raspberrypi-kernel As soon as the... [Continue Reading]

Eduardo
Sorocaba SP Brasil
www.alt119.net

"Barriga cheia, companhia desfeita."