Trying to configure slrn

I've installed slrn on my RPi B+, but I'm stuck on the next step of entering NNTPSERVER information. Where/how is that done? I've googled numerous sites, but can't find any specific Raspberry Pi guidance.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Ray

Reply to
RRansil

It is an environment variable, like $PATH. Use the shell export command or supply it on the command line.

You could have found the information with man slrn.

--

-TV
Reply to

It goes into your "rc" file, if you are using bash it'd be your .bashrc Something like:

NNTPSERVER='server.name.here.in.singlequotes' EDITOR=emacs export NNTPSERVER EDITOR

OK, you might not want emacs, but I can't imagine why. Other shells use other syntax, c-shelly things use (something like) setenv NNTPSERVER server.name.here That would go into your .cshrc

Reply to
ERSHC

where does the password go?

look exactly the same afterwards."

Billy Connolly
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

In my .slrnrc I have, e.g.,

server "server.name.org" ".jnewsrc-name"" nnrpaccess "server.name.org" "username" "password"

This is then invoked with

slrn -h server.name.org

(I use multiple NNTP servers for different private groups.)

Reply to
Roger Bell_West

There is nothing about slrn that is Pi specific. Hell, it can be made to run on windows!

With bash as your shell, set your NNTPSERVER in your ~/.bashrc like so (server name chosen to be consistent with the slrn example file):

export NNTPSERVER='news.doe.com'

If you're in the terminal you can refresh your bash environment via

. ~/.bashrc echo $NNTPSERVER

You need a ~/.slrnrc file. If you installed from a proper .deb package, you should have this file: /usr/share/doc/slrn/examples/slrn.rc.gz and in there, we see these entries under "Server specific settings":

% Tell slrn which newsrc file it should use for which server. % Note: This does *not* set the default server; you need to set the % NNTPSERVER environment variable for this. %server "news.doe.com" ".jnewsrc-doe"

% If a server requires authentication, add a nnrpaccess line for it. % If you leave username and/or password empty, slrn will prompt for it. %nnrpaccess "news.doe.com" "john" "secret"

In fact, the easiest thing to do would be the following:

gunzip -c /usr/share/doc/slrn/examples/slrn.rc.gz > ~/.slrnrc

then edit your ~/.slrnrc file to point to your news server, and any username and/or password required. If you put in the password in the file, you may want to do a

chmod go-rwx ~/.slrnrc

to make it unreadable from any accounts not you or root. If it is a single user system behind a good firewall, then that's probably an "eh".

Once configured, type

slrn

and you should have usenet reading goodness at your finger tips. And if you examine the entirety of ~/.slrn there is a lot more that can be configured, but can be safely ignored until you need to or want to make changes.

isn't looking good, either.
I R A Darth Aggie

Sincere thanks to all who replied. I'm posting this from slrn! Special thanks to IRA Darth Aggie for the "gunzip" suggestion. That saved me a lot of time. Your help is appreciated.

Reply to
RRansil