Telnet

I still own one: actually a 12" green screen TV monitor attached to a memory mapped 24x80 display on a self-assembled 6809 box - the first computer I owned. Needs some TLC but should run again given that treatment.

--
Martin    | martin at
Gregorie  | gregorie dot org

Ralph Spitzner has the better guess. TERM$ is xterm-256colors. How do I temporarily set term=vt100 for a telnet session?

Reply to
nelsonse48

$ TERM=vt100 telnet theserver

But! I saw this at

Some have erroneously thought that they could create an emulator at a Linux console (monitor) by setting the environment variable TERM to the type of terminal they would like to emulate. This does not work. The value of TERM only tells an application program what terminal you are using. This way it doesn't need to interactively ask you this question (and it's too dumb to be able to probe the terminal to find out what type it is). If you're at a Linux PC monitor (command line interface) it's a terminal of type "Linux", and since you can't change this, TERM must be set to "Linux". But this "Linux" should be set automatically, without you needing to do anything.

If you set it to something else, you are fibbing to an application program. As a result, it will incorrectly interpret certain escape sequences from the console resulting in a corrupted interface. Since the Linux console behaves almost like a vt100 terminal, it could still work almost OK if you falsely claimed it was a vt100 (or some other terminal which is close to a vt100). In this case it may seeming work OK most of the time but once in a while will give errors.

Reply to
A. Dumas

On Sat, 31 Jul 2021 18:46:34 -0000 (UTC), Martin Gregorie declaimed the following:

I've got a TRS-80 Model III/4 (III chassis, upgraded to 4 processor card) in storage.

	wlfraed@ix.netcom.com    http://wlfraed.microdiversity.freeddns.org/
Reply to
Dennis Lee Bieber

I'd phrase that a bit differently:

Setting the UNIX/Linux TERM environment variable is telling the keyboard and screen handling software used by an application:

1) what character sequence to send when a keypress is input to your application 2) what effect a received character sequence shoiuld have on the display area managed by your applicatiin

The specific keyboard and screen handling package that used depends on both the operating system your system uses and what programming language the application is written in:

- a C program running under Linux/UNIX is most likely to be using the ncurses package (or termcap it its really old).

- a Java program will be using a combination of AWT and Swing classes, no matter what hardware or OS its running on.

Other language/OS combinations will have their own display and keyboard handlers.

--
Martin    | martin at
Gregorie  | gregorie dot org

Try

man xterm

It has loads of command line options for altering it's behaviour, and CONTROL-MiddleMouse button gets you some options you can change. The manual entry says it emulates a VT102 pretty well.

I'm beginning to think you are not running xterm but another terminal emulator - qterminal?

Jim

Reply to
Jim Jackson

I used `script` to capture it and added it under videos/other/ here:

It's not the same experierence, but it is close.

Elijah

------ welcomes a better version (or other vt100 `cat`able videos

Reply to
Eli the Bearded

Dana Sat, 31 Jul 2021 18:06:30 +0200, Ralph Spitzner napis'o:

That should do the trick. export TERM=vt100

Reply to
Nikolaj Lazic

As has been explained by others, setting TERM is only relevant to program outputting the data - not the terminal emulator itself.

Reply to
Jim Jackson

It sounds like you're not getting a decent VT100 emulation which is odd because xterm should provide one, not so sure about lxterm though. You could try installing xvt which is a pure vt100 emulator.

C:\>WIN                                     | A better way to focus the sun
Ahem A Rivet's Shot

This is indeed completely true, and its probably why the embedded linux busybox routers use it, as they are penny pinching RAM stealers

And then run a web server instead???!

Actually Tauno, I suspect its simply because it comes with busybox and sshd doesnt.

its shoes.
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

+1
--
?Puritanism: The haunting fear that someone, somewhere, may be happy.?

H.L. Mencken, A Mencken Chrestomathy
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I did a computer course in 1969 as an apprentice and learnt FORTRAN on a flexowriter, So appalling was the experience of handing a paper tape to the operator and getting a listing of compile errors the *next week*, that I forsook computing until microcomputers with terminals arrived, With a turn round time of under a second to sort BASIC syntax errors, I could actually learn how to program the beasts.

--
?Puritanism: The haunting fear that someone, somewhere, may be happy.?

H.L. Mencken, A Mencken Chrestomathy
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

My FORTRAN course was in 1968 and was card-based, rather than paper tape. We had overnight turnaround. It was still a lot of incentive for desk checking, but in my case I was so fascinated by computers that I considered it worth it. Then I got a job in a small shop where I could stay after hours and put in all the runs I wanted with quick turnaround. The nice thing about microcomputers was that I could then do it all at home - but the fun thing was being able to do it at all, and a small mainframe in a building to which I had the key was just about as good.

--
/~\  Charlie Gibbs                  |  They don't understand Microsoft
\ /        |  has stolen their car and parked

One week turnaround is rough, at school in 1974 we had next day (or weekend) turnaround by way of a sixth former dialing up the local tech on a modem and acoustic coupler then running our tapes through the reader while the operator ran the output tape from the previous day through their reader. Finally said sixth former[1] would separate the punched tape (there was a trick that punched a gap and readable initials in front of each set of results) and distribute to pigeonholes.

That was a long enough delay to make compile errors something to avoid at all costs - we soon learned the value of desk checking. These days we run static code analysis tools (aka linters) and run compilers with all the warnings on instead.

[1] Before and after running the tapes he was also trying to chat up the operator[2] over a teletype link. [2] When I discovered that there was a "hands on" hour every day when you could go to the tech[3], use the 029s then go into the machine room, put your deck in the hopper and collect printout from the 1403, I also discovered that the operator in question was well into her twenties and mildly amused by the efforts of sixteen/seventeen year old hopefuls at most of the schools in the county[4], none of whom had ever met her. [3] Half hour walk - well worth it! [4] Not quite sure why she let the fourteen year old me in on the secret, but I did find it funny.
C:\>WIN                                     | A better way to focus the sun
Ahem A Rivet's Shot

I've heard those horror stories, but never experienced them. At University (Elliott 503 + flexowriters) the flexowriters almost never had a queue and the worst turnround we got from the Elliott was overnight, which was all that was guaranteed, and often we'd get a run back in an hour or two if the system wasn't busy. 'short jobs' got 3 minutes of runtime and most of the stuff I was doing (compile and run an Algol curve fitting program to analyse the output from a 400 channel multi- channel analyser connected to a Mossbauer spectrometer) executed in rather less than 3 minutes. Once I joined ICL (writing in PLAN assembler first and then COBOL) got us overnight test runs plus a shorter lunchtime test slot. That was with everything on cards - three years later (early 70s) we were running George 3 and using teletypes for interactive program development.

--
Martin    | martin at
Gregorie  | gregorie dot org

Thanks for all the responses and memories of early computing. As for telnet, xvt will fill my needs for now. Thnx! --Steve

Reply to
nelsonse48

I still have a couple packed away: a green Apple Monitor II and an amber Zenith.

Lately I've been going through different methods of connecting the Apple IIGS to HDMI displays. I currently have a VidHD

basically an Orange Pi Zero on an adapter board that monitors the bus for changes and recreates the Apple II display modes in 1080p) and an Extron RGB-to-HDMI converter (not too bad once you get it adjusted right, and it just plugs into the RGB monitor port), and I'm considering the RGBtoHDMI
runs bare-metal on a Raspberry Pi Zero for faster start, but requires tapping digital RGB off of the motherboard).

_/_ / v \ Scott Alfter (remove the obvious to send mail) (IIGS(

Top-posting! \_^_/ >What's the most annoying thing on Usenet?

Reply to
Scott Alfter

You're still thinking something containing Linux.

My embedded devices can e.g. be a Cortex-M3 with 256 kbytes of Flash and

64 kbytes of RAM. The Ethernet and TCP/IP stacks with a simple Telnet daemon can be squeezed there, but the encryption needed for SSH is absolutely a no-no. The thing should also fit the code for its intended use.
--

-TV
Reply to

They still don't catch logic and design errors, though. :-)