Using USB filesystems on RPI3

After messing about with an RPI3 and the latest Raspbian Jessie + pixel the performance is not terrible but a little short. It makes a good thin client for text and static web pages but isn't fast enough for video. The configuration is default, on an 8 GB card.

I've found that using an external flash drive (USB 3, for sake of write speed) to hold swap, /usr, /tmp and /var speeds up a FreeBSD installation on a Pi2, but I don't know enough about Raspbian to hazard a guess how much difference it'd make. I want to stick with Raspbian, at least for now, for the sake of the GUI, but would like to do what's possible to improve performance. Raspbian and FreeBSD are different enough so that the experiement isn't entirely trivial and I'd be grateful for any advice.

Thanks for reading and any thoughts,

bob prohaska

Reply to
bob prohaska