Qcad for raspberry pi

I tried
bob@raspberrypi:~/Documents $ sudo apt-get install qcad
[sudo] password for bob:
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
  qcad
0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 7,424 B of archives.
After this operation, 31.7 kB of additional disk space will be used.
Get:1 http://mirrors.ocf.berkeley.edu/raspbian/raspbian buster/main armhf qcad all 2.0.5.0-1+090318.1-2 [7,424 B]
Fetched 7,424 B in 5s (1,353 B/s)
Selecting previously unselected package qcad.
(Reading database ... 168926 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack .../qcad_2.0.5.0-1+090318.1-2_all.deb ...
Unpacking qcad (2.0.5.0-1+090318.1-2) ...
Setting up qcad (2.0.5.0-1+090318.1-2) ...
bob@raspberrypi:~/Documents $ qcad
bash: qcad: command not found

It looks as if the install thinks it succeeded, but the size of the archive
is suspiciously small and the command isn't found.

Any hints as to what's going on?

Thanks for reading,

bob prohaska

Re: Qcad for raspberry pi
declaimed the following:

pi@rpi3bplus-1:~$ sudo apt search qcad
Sorting... Done
Full Text Search... Done
qcad/stable 2.0.5.0-1+090318.1-2 all
  Transitional package for QCad to LibreCAD

pi@rpi3bplus-1:~$

https://wiki.debian.org/RenamingPackages

pi@rpi3bplus-1:~$ sudo apt install qcad
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
The following additional packages will be installed:
  libmuparser2v5 librecad librecad-data
  libmuparser2v5 librecad librecad-data qcad
0 upgraded, 4 newly installed, 0 to remove and 1 not upgraded.
Need to get 11.1 MB of archives.
After this operation, 114 MB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n]

"qcad" appears to be a dummy existing just to pull in librecad

pi@rpi3bplus-1:~$ sudo apt info qcad
Package: qcad
Version: 2.0.5.0-1+090318.1-2
Section: graphics
Maintainer: Debian Science Maintainers
Installed-Size: 31.7 kB
Depends: librecad
Tag: interface::x11, role::program, scope::application, uitoolkit::qt,
 use::editing, works-with-format::vrml, works-with::3dmodel,
 x11::application
Download-Size: 7,424 B
APT-Sources: http://raspbian.raspberrypi.org/raspbian buster/main armhf
Packages
 QCad has been removed from wheezy for depending on qt3 and containing non-
 distributable fonts, patterns, libraries, and documentation.
 .
 LibreCAD is the community-maintained qt4 port of QCad and has superseded
Qcad
 in Debian as the package "librecad".

pi@rpi3bplus-1:~$ sudo apt info librecad
Package: librecad
Version: 2.1.3-1.2
Section: graphics
Maintainer: Debian Science Maintainers
Installed-Size: 7,143 kB
Depends: libatomic1 (>= 4.8), libc6 (>= 2.4), libgcc1 (>= 1:4.0), libgles2,
libmuparser2v5 (>= 2.2.6.1+dfsg), libqt5core5a (>= 5.5.0), libqt5gui5 (>=
5.2.0), libqt5printsupport5 (>= 5.0.2), libqt5svg5 (>= 5.6.0~beta),
libqt5widgets5 (>= 5.11.0~rc1), libstdc++6 (>= 5.2), librecad-data (=
2.1.3-1.2)
Homepage: http://www.librecad.org/
Download-Size: 2,262 kB
APT-Sources: http://raspbian.raspberrypi.org/raspbian buster/main armhf
Packages
 LibreCAD is an application for computer aided design (CAD) in two
 dimensions (2D). With LibreCAD you can create technical drawings such as
 plans for buildings, interiors, mechanical parts or schematics and
 diagrams.

pi@rpi3bplus-1:~$ sudo apt search librecad
Sorting... Done
Full Text Search... Done
librecad/stable 2.1.3-1.2 armhf
  Computer-aided design (CAD) system

librecad-data/stable 2.1.3-1.2 all
  Computer-aided design (CAD) system -- shared files

--
    Wulfraed                 Dennis Lee Bieber         AF6VN
     snipped-for-privacy@ix.netcom.com    http://wlfraed.microdiversity.freeddns.org/

Re: Qcad for raspberry pi

Ahh, that makes sense. I already had librecad installed. so not much
to be done. But, I don't see the point....librecad and qcad are in
principle different animals, it seems like "bait and switch" to swap
one for the other.

By way of explanation, I wanted qcad because I'd like to import a pdf
into inkscape. When I tried, inkscape suggested running it through
qcad first. As it happens, nothing seems to work. There's something
fishy about the pdf, apparently.

Thanks for replying!

bob prohaska

Re: Qcad for raspberry pi

More probably, some other package depended on qcad, and in order not
to break installations of _that_, there's a transitional dummy package
until that other package is updated.

Certainly my experience is that if a vaguely modern inkscape can't
read a PDF then the PDF is broken in some way.

Re: Qcad for raspberry pi
On Thu, 4 Jun 2020 23:06:15 -0000 (UTC), Roger Bell_West

pi@rpi3bplus-1:~$ sudo apt rdepends qcad
qcad
Reverse Depends:
  Recommends: ezgo-imaging
pi@rpi3bplus-1:~$

pi@rpi3bplus-1:~$ sudo apt rdepends librecad
librecad
Reverse Depends:
  Recommends: education-graphics
  Recommends: science-engineering
  Depends: qcad
pi@rpi3bplus-1:~$

--
    Wulfraed                 Dennis Lee Bieber         AF6VN
     snipped-for-privacy@ix.netcom.com    http://wlfraed.microdiversity.freeddns.org/

Re: Qcad for raspberry pi
declaimed the following:

    One consideration is that QCAD itself
https://www.qcad.org/en/qcad-documentation/qcad-features has a $$$
"Professional" version -- and the open source portion has to have the "pro"
extensions stripped from it to be validly distributed. LibreCAD was a fork
of the "community edition" into which CAM control was added. That's only
available in the $$$ QCAD. So the original core functions were the same for
both. LibreCAD becoming an open source (partial) replacement for the
professional QCAD/CAM.

    Both have since been updated to use QT5. https://librecad.org/ However,
the QCAD builds are for Intel/AMD processors. You'd have to download the
SOURCE of the community edition and build it yourself to get an ARM
version-- which also requires the build environment for QT5... And that
source is what was the start of LibreCAD.  (interesting, the prebuilt
builds seem to use QT5 only on 64-bit Linux, the others are still QT4)

    <blink><blink>

    The feature list for QCAD (see above link) has EXPORT to PDF, but
doesn't mention IMPORT from one. (The professional version has DWG to PDF
command line batch converter).

    And https://inkscape.org/about/features/ doesn't mention importing a
PDF either, but does mention export. However, the "manual"
http://tavmjong.free.fr/INKSCAPE/MANUAL/html/File-Import.html implies there
is some capability.

{Okay -- pricing is only $$, not $$$ for single user; 33Euro for QCAD Pro,
89Euro for QCAD/CAM... Including one year of updates; but still limited to
"big machines", not ARM}

--
    Wulfraed                 Dennis Lee Bieber         AF6VN
     snipped-for-privacy@ix.netcom.com    http://wlfraed.microdiversity.freeddns.org/

Re: Qcad for raspberry pi

Inkscape PDF import works pretty well - at least as far as the information
that exists in the PDF file.  You can only import one page at a time though.

Theo

Re: Qcad for raspberry pi

The hint to try qcad appeared in an alert box while trying to import
a PDF into inkscape, maybe they were referring to a "pro" version.

I did not realize that qcad was the ancestor of librecad, thanks for
the history lesson. I'd like to play with inkscape because it supports
HPGL pen plotters. My CAD software (Ashlar Graphite) abandoned support
for pen plotters ages ago, but it does support a seemingly-wide range
of export formats:

EPS type A
PDF type A
IGES
DWG R14
DWG 2000/2002
DWG 2004/2006
DWG 2007
DWG 2008
DWG 2015
DXF R14
DXF 2000/2002
DXF 2004/2006
DXF 2007
DXF 2008
DXF 2015
PDF type B
BMP
TIFF
ICON
PBM
PGM
PPM
XPM
TGA

If I try eps or pdf, there's an error from ps2pdf and a blank page results.
Ghostscript seems up-to-date, so I'm rather stuck.

If anybody following this thread has a suggestion, I'm all ears.

Thanks for reading,

bob prohaska

Site Timeline