Re: Taking a Stand in the War on General-Purpose Computing

Since he lies about everything, it seems reasonable to assume he lied about the degree too - after all, there is no evidence that it has done any good to his thought processes.

David

Reply to
David Higton

No... "dick comparison"

Reply to
Nikolaj Lazic

"Schwanz" can also mean penis, so penis comparison

As in "penis size war"

Jasen Betts

Illogical bigoted inference. How absolutely in character.

But don't worry your pretty little head, its obviously fake news if you didn't read it in the Guardian.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

No. I think I will leave it for others to judge that

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

So you know f*ck all about engineering then.

Or computer modelling in the earth sciences

and I've

I think it was your claim back around 2010 that 'by 2020 the country will be running entirely on renewable energy' that got me started into wondering whether that was a realistic statement

I discovered that it was not, and then I wondered why that fact was not being used to form policy, and that irrespective of CO2s effects on the climate, renewable energy was a pointless way to attempt to reduce it.

I then wondered if as well as lying about renewable energy, people were lying about climate too.

From being a complete believer in climate change in the 1990s I moved to being utterly sceptical the more I learnt about the details of the so called science,.

Unlike you, I kept an open mind and let the data, not the Guardian and the BBC, form my worldview.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

ROFLMAO!

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

No dear. its willy waving.

Cant even use google. Typical computer scientist.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

There are people who know me who can confirm that and indeed my careers in engineering and business.

Your attempts to ad hominen and cancel what I have to say by imputing that I dont know what I am talking about are typical symptoms of those who deny the truth about climate change and renewable energy - namely that the first is 90% natural certainly not unprecedented and of no great concern, and the second is a profitable scam.

But as I say, it doesn't matter. Having poured trillions into windmills and locked the whole world down,. the rise in CO2 hasn't changed one iota, and all that has happened is that the European and UK grids are in danger of collapse and electricity prices are now 8 times what they were

20 years ago. And Energiewende Germany is producing more CO2 per MWh than any other nation in Europe. *shrug*

The great thing that engineers understand, that pointy headed computer scientists do not, is that there is a real world out there, with its own rules, and by and large it will bite you in the bum if you do not respect what its telling you. In the European context, engineering analysis on a holistic basis along with economic analysis shows that renewable energy will turn out to be an economic and technical disaster.

You don't need to follow the detailed arguments, you just need to look at te overall emissions of heavily renewable countries, the cost of electricity across Europe, and the day ahead price spikes that show the grids are exceeding full capacity on windless and sunless days..

Children are still knowing what snow is, polar bears are thriving, the antarctic and many glaciers are increasing glaciation. No islands have disappeared under the sea, and crop yields have never been higher.

If this is climate change, bring it on.

Sadly looking out of the window, this christmas is as cold and dismal as all te other UK christmasses I can remember. Right back to te 1950s. The only difference is towns are warmer, because everyone has central heating

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Not on today as its christmas

so much hatred and ad hominems. Your renewable/climate denialism is strong

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

It's not fake news merely just one example that on its own doesn't prove anything either way, because there are at least as many counter-examples, for example ...

Black Lives Matter latest news: UK protests turn violent

London Covid-19 protests turn violent | Daily Mail Online
London protests: More than 100 arrests after violent clashes with police
... etc, etc. So I repeat I repeat where is your *EVIDENCE* that protests within the EU are any more or less violent compared with those in the UK?

Reply to
Java Jive

Fine, others have already given their opinions, mostly seemingly against you.

Reply to
Java Jive

Yes, I realised after I'd posted that perhaps a better translation would have been 'willy-waving'! You have confirmed that :-)

Reply to
Java Jive

You'd know all about that.

Google gave me 'tail comparison'.

Reply to
Java Jive

The first of the above is merely your usual dishonest denialism of accepted scientific fact, for which as usual you give no *EVIDENCE*, the second is clearly *FALSE* as the year on year increases in renewable generation show:

FALSE! Graph entitled "Annual CO2 emissions from fossil fuels, by world region" shows that India, Africa, N America, and Europe are all producing less CO2 than they were, and that entitled "Annual percentage change in CO2 emissions" shows that the rate of CO2 emissions are falling. Of course we all know that's not enough, but it is the beginning of a change for the better, and you are lying when you claim it isn't happening:

Where is your *EVIDENCE* for this claim?

FALSE! For example, in the UK, average business electricity costs are

3.5 times what they were in 2004, nothing like what you claim above ...

... and in the US electricity prices are 62% higher than in 2001 ...

... and still in the US energy prices have risen 83%, but this is still and order of magnitude less than the 800% you claim

As has been explained to you before, that is because, rightly or wrongly, Germany is *NOT* using renewable energy to replace fossil fuel energy, it is using renewal energy to replace nuclear energy. Some might consider that a bad policy choice, but the point is that it is a

*policy* choice, nothing to do with the use of renewable energy per se.

"Most obviously, the failure to reduce emissions reflects continued reliance on coal generation"

In Germany, renewables have largely replaced nuclear plants, not, as in the UK, coal plants or gas plants (bottom graph in first figure), and that is the reason why emissions are not decreasing - they're replacing one low carbon source by another. You and I may think that ill-advised, but it's a direct result of their policy to de-nuclearise, not the increased use of renewables.

The response of someone with a lack of knowledge and understanding who is too lazy to learn.

And, as shown above, when you do that, the conclusions to be drawn are

*NOT* the ones you attempted to claim above.

FALSE! PROVEN LIE REPEATED YET AGAIN:

Note the map - while much of it is covered by grey-shaded areas showing insufficient data, and quite a lot by blue-shaded areas where the population is stable, the green-shaded geographical areas showing increasing numbers are eclipsed in size by the red-shaded areas showing decreasing numbers. Further down, after discussing two newly-assessed populations found to be stable, there is the following quote:

"The number of polar bear subpopulations experiencing recent decreases has gone from 1 to 4. In Canada, polar bears from Southern and Western Hudson Bay as well as the Northern Beaufort Sea have all experienced a fall in numbers. According to scientists, Southern Hudson Bay dropped by

17% and Western Hudson Bay dropped by 18% between 2011 and 2016."

FALSE! The red line denoting 2021 is exceeded only by two previous outliers, 2007 & 2012, and is well beyond that average for recent decades:

Go and live on Tuvalu ...

... but not in areas affected by desertification ...

It isn't, and you are a pathetically bigoted fool.

Actually, I don't, but that's an entirely different and irrelevant story.

Reply to
Java Jive

I seem to know enough about it to debunk your endless lies.

Ditto.

Link to where I made that claim! I have no recollection of saying any such thing, and don't believe I ever said it.

Probably coincided with about the time you started to read right-wing propaganda trash such as B r e i t b a r t, certainly, as shown above, your output reads like a vacuous regurgitation of such unscientific crap.

No-one here has more of a closed mind than you, as evidenced that you keep repeating the same lies that have been debunked already countless times before.

When are you going to stop lying?

Reply to
Java Jive

There is no evidence there for the claim: "The people who will kill millions are the people who mandated renewable energy."

I merely pitch my level according to whom I'm addressing.

Reply to
Java Jive

+1

He never enters into a dialogue - it's always a rant. And as you have discovered it is beneath him to actually quote real figures, or point to real research. Of course there are schills out there actually paid to spread FUD over climate change - like there were people paid to do the same to discredit the link of smoking to cancer. I suspect he's not bright or savvy enough to be recruited to do that. He's not very convincing is he?

Reply to
Jim Jackson

Not at all convincing. He states so much that is completely at odds with the observable facts.

David

Reply to
David Higton

Yes, there are clear links between smoking denialism, climate change denialism, vaccine denialism, and the various forms of covid denialism, be it the extreme that virus doesn't even exist, through the recommendation and pushing of ineffective medications, to that masks and/or lockdowns don't work.

Partly it's simply that if you're the sort of person who believes in one conspiracy theory, by definition you're the sort of person who will believe in another apparently unrelated one, because typically they appeal to people with certain psychological weaknesses.

But it's also more insidious than that, the one conspiracy theory that has some truth is that there is a conspiracy to propagate conspiracy theories. Once the techniques of misinformation were learnt to discredit the links between smoking and lung-cancer, it was but a small step for the same techniques to be used to discredit global warming, and then vaccines, covid-19, lockdowns, etc. Further the process works both ways, there is now evidence that the same people who a few months ago at the height of the pandemic were propagandising covid and lockdown disinformation have now turned their attention back to climate change denial, and are targetting the same groups of people that they previously targetted with pandemic denialism with climate change denialism.

The BBC has a pretty good fact checking website, and have also produced series of radio and some TV programmes debunking some of this weaponised disinformation. Here are some BBC and other links for those who are interested enough to explore further (I'm not sure how many of the BBC links will be listenable outside of the UK; they are nearly all radio links, which don't require a TV licence to hear in the UK, and usually don't expire after a timeout period on their website, but these attributes may be irrelevant to availability outside of the UK):

General conspiracy theory:

The Misinformation Virus
CrowdScience - Why do conspiracy theories exist?
This excellent series explores the links between smoking denialism and climate change denialism, even down to a level of detail of being able to reveal the seating plan for a secret tobacco industry meeting convened to weaponise denial of the links between smoking and lung cancer:

How They Made Us Doubt Everything

The following Wikipedia page really needs to be read in its entirety, and highlights the absurdity of the vast majority of the misinformation claims about covid-19. As you do so, note how the claims vary from country to country, being adapted to stoke the flames of each country's public fears and paranoias ...

- A very great many locking in to pre-existing distrusts and hates towards ethnic minorities, neighbouring countries with whom there is a history of disputes, etc - for example, just two of many, some Indians have used it to fuel anti-Muslim hate, some Arabic countries anti-Israel hate, etc, etc.

- Certain governments have used it to blame or wage 'cold' war on other governments they see as 'hostile', the most obvious example being Trump's railing against China, but there is also China's railings against Trump, and everywhere there is the shadow of Russia's attempts to influence the populace and politics of other nations. An early quote reads: "It has also been reportedly spread by covert operations backed by states such as Saudi Arabia,[16] Russia and China to generate panic and sow distrust in other countries." another "On 22 February, US officials alleged that Russia is behind an ongoing disinformation campaign, using thousands of social media accounts on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram to deliberately promote unfounded conspiracy theories, claiming the virus is a biological weapon manufactured by the CIA and the US is waging economic war on China using the virus.", and links given above to BBC investigations which have found that up to half of all the bots found on some social media sites can be linked to Russia.

Misinformation related to the COVID-19 pandemic

More recent work:

The Anti-Vax Files:

The Denial Files (more links between covid and climate disinformation):
These are links to old TV programmes, so availability is dependent on when last shown on BBC TV and currently neither are available, but they're worth watching, so worth adding to your 'favourites' in however you choose programmes to watch or download.

Climate Change by Numbers

Climategate: Science of a Scandal
Lastly, for completeness' sake, the 'tsunami' of lies coming from Donald Trump during the last election:

More Or Less - US election: facts or fiction

Java Jive