General purpose single-supply op-amp?

Can anyone recommend a good general purpose single-supply op-amp? Something better than the old LM324 (which has high input current and noise, plus a flaky output stage)?

This question has come up before (I asked it myself back in 2001) and I've never seen a solid answer. There are a zillion and three single-supply amps out there, most with part numbers long enough to choke a server. Surely *somebody* has something that's a decent middle-of-the-road part, similar to the TL08x or LF35x series for dual supplies. The kind of thing you would stock up on if you were placing an order anyway, just to keep on hand.

Now, I realize there are some specs here that nobody worries too much about for dual-supplies, such as just how close to the rails you can get. That's OK. I'd just like to hear what people are finding useful, to point me in the right direction.

Thanks!

Bob Masta D A Q A R T A Data AcQuisition And Real-Time Analysis

Scope, Spectrum, Spectrogram, Signal Generator Science with your sound card!

Reply to
Bob Masta

If you want a drop in replacement for the LM324 that is better in almost every respect, take a look at the LT1014:

Of course, it costs a lot more, also, but it is now sourced by at least 3 makers.

Reply to
John Popelish

For the past year been using the Cmos, rail to rail in and out, TS914. It's one of those chips that can be plugged in without thinking and just does it's stuff. Also developing a healthy respect for the TS974. (Cost is the main driver for my usage).

john jardine

I'm just a hobbyist, but I kinda like these: http://www.ortodoxism.ro/datasheets/microchip/21685b.pdf

They're cheap enough, and haven't given me any stability problems on protooards. The big catch is they're limited to a maximum 5V supply. Works for me, but ymmv. ;-)

Reply to
Anthony Fremont