Raspbian jessie - upgrade to udev 215-5 fails

dpkg (as invoked by aptitude) fails to complete post-installation configuration of udev 215-5 telling that there is an error in script (not exactly where the error is or what it is).

I get the same failure having tried .deb files of 215-5 from Debian, 215-5b+1 and a built-from-source version. But only one other person seems to have had the same problem and for forum in question yielded no solution.

The system seemed to work OK - presumably udev-215 using udev-208 config files - so I rather regret having "purged" udev (which took with it xorg-xserver-core among other things) in the hope that a "clean" reinstall would work.

Any ideas?

Reply to
ajw99uk

No clue really. Installation of udev 215-5 went with no hitches here on Raspian Jessie, although I haven't got xorg installed on any of my Raspis. Maybe there is something in your log files (in /var/log) that will help?

The other thing to do is to look at the post-install script of udev and see if you can spot the error.

/var/lib/dpkg/info/udev.postinst

Also, *never* mix .deb files from Debian with a Raspbian system. They are not compatible with the CPU on the Raspberry Pi and you will end up with "Illegal Instruction" errors and (probably) an unusable system.

The same goes for .deb files from any other source - unless they say they are suitable for use with Raspbian.

Reply to
Dom

I'd guessed it might be a local problem owing to the lack of noise on the web, tbu thanks for confirming. Not found the log very enlightening.

Ah, I did not find that, thanks for the pointer - opening the .deb in xarchiver and looking around at what I thought would be the postinst did not offer any clues, but perhaps I could edit this one and rebuild the .deb?

Noted, this has been the only one. No "Illegal instructions" so far - perhaps the v7HF code here uses nothing that v6HF regards as illegal. Just the same postinst failure.

Of course if the error persists and blocks re-installing xorg as well as other upgrades I'll have to start again from an SD image anyway.

Reply to
ajw99uk