Raspbian Jessie is here

The net install package is a lot smaller than anything that fills a CD, it's basically a kernel and bootloader with just enough added to be able to run the installer itself, then it downloads only the packages you tell it to from the repos.

Reply to
Rob Morley

Yes, it's a Debian thing. I've had it on PCs too.

Apparently it's a bug fix. The "halt" command had been doing a poweroff shutdown instead of just a halt. That has been changed.

Now, on a PC it means the machine stops with "System Halted" displayed, but doesn't turn off the power.

I'm gradually getting into the habit of typing "poweoff" instead of "halt" now and in the early days of Jessie (well over a year now) I even set up an alias for "halt" that just gave a warning to use poweroff instead.

Reply to
Dom

It's only logical. Then *afterwards*,

autoremove clean

Reply to
A. Dumas

As I understand it autoclean removes the downloaded installation files so doing it *after* update and upgrade might get rid of a few more files.

Don't you ever do an 'apt-get autoremove'? That removes packages which are no longer needed. I.e. if you installed package X that depends on package Y and then decide you don't need package X and remove it 'apt-get autoremove' will see that package Y is no longer needed (assuming nothing else depends on it) and remove that for you. (Sorry about the horribly long sentence!)

--
Chris Green
Reply to

Thanks. I've revised the script to do update upgrade dist-upgrade autoremove autoclean

in that order.

--
martin@   | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK

That's it. Thanks. I've just shut down with poweroff and got back to one red LED.

Not a bad idea, though as I can't see a reason for using 'halt' instead of 'poweroff' since I have to go upstairs and power cycle to restart after either of them, I may just set up 'halt' as an alias for 'poweroff'.

--
martin@   | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK

Perhaps via "tasksel" as a front end for dpkg? (not used it since Debian 2.2 so I may be mis-remembering, but IIRC it does broad selections of packages suitable for uses as various types of server, desktop, games, etc)

Reply to
ajw99uk

If you don't remove package X, how does the autoremove tool know that package X is needed? Does something keep track of the packages that are installed because you asked for them and which were installed automatically?

--

Rick
Reply to

The package manager keeps track of what is installed. See 'man dpkg' and 'man dpkg-query' for available options.

Reply to
ray carter

That's not what I asked. I am asking what the autoremove tool uses to decide to remove a package?

--

Rick
Reply to

The package manager knows the difference between what has been specifically installed and what it then has pulled in as dependencies. It also knows if you have installed -dev headers that it must not automatically remove them (or the associated runtime libraries) even if nothing seems to use them.

--
W J G
Reply to

It queries the same database.

Reply to
ray carter

That's what I was asking. Thanks. :)

--

Rick
Reply to

apt uses a system of dependencies like a Makefile does. If there are packages upon which nothing depends....

--
Global warming is the new Margaret Thatcher. There is no ill in the
world it's not directly responsible for.

Every end application fits that description. Someone already said that the package manager keeps track of what was explicitly installed and what was installed because of dependencies.

--

Rick
Reply to

well that should have read 'packages upon which nothing depends *that were not explicitly installed*'