pi 3 wifi query

Obstructed inside multilevel wood and brick house

50' ok 75-100' some speed loss 100+ feet to outside wood shop/shed about 1/2 rated speed

Router Netgear R7000-100NAS

Reply to
Charlie

People who live in Faraday cages shouldn't throw packets...

--
-michael - NadaNet 3.1 and AppleCrate II:  http://michaeljmahon.com
Reply to

Well yes - but the foil backed insulation in our roof makes a dandy reflector making the AP upstairs nicely visible downstairs.

Well yes - but I'll never persuade anyone round here to plug their phones in (OTG lead, USB Ethernet - fiddly).

C:>WIN                                      | A better way to focus the sun
Ahem A Rivet's Shot

It varies depending on the construction of your building. With my very powerful ASUS router and a standard brick walled house, both 5GHz and

2.4GHz have strong signals throughout, and importantly you get interference from anyone elses 5GHz indoors. When outside 5GHz reaches about 50% to 75% of the distance of 2.4GHz, when out of range the devices revert to using the 2.4GHz channels, up to the point where the neighbours routers on the same channel downs them out.

---druck

Reply to
druck

Transmitting power doesn't do a lot of good unless it is on both ends. Going the other way with a variety of devices means you also need significantly higher sensitivity which is much harder than just pumping up the volume.

--

Rick
Reply to

areas.

There where WiFi links around here working up to 10 miles. Line of sight 18" dishes each end.

All down to building construction. The thick stone walls here kill the signal. The timber floors aren't there as far as the WiFi is concerned.

Dave.
Reply to
Dave Liquorice

If you are only getting 30 feet in open air then you probably have a hardware problem. If you replace your hardware you might want to investigate dual-band 802.11ac devices.

--
Bernard Peek
bap@shrdlu.com

Not sure how to respond to your post. I didn't say anything about 30 feet of open air. To use a dual band device both ends would need to support it right? So how do you adapt phones and other devices with wi-fi built in?

--

Rick
Reply to

High end phones and tablets will have had Wireless-AC built in for over

2 years, it may not have filtered down to the cheapest devices yet. As for laptops, WiFi is provided by a standard card, which can easily be

---druck

Reply to
druck

Ok, thanks.