Alternative power supply connection for Pi2

An older (version 1.1) Raspberry Pi 2 has suffered a broken microUSB
power input connector. The internal "tongue" has snapped off, the
connector body is still securely soldered to the board.

For now I'm powering it via the GPIO header, but I believe that will
bypass whatever internal overcurrent protection is present. Is there
a better way to connect power that will preserve internal protection?

Is it even possible to unsolder and replace the broken connector? To
my eye (and hand!) it looks like a fairly difficult job without special
equipment.

Thanks for reading,

bob prohaska

Re: Alternative power supply connection for Pi2

Bob-

Someone may be capable of replacing your power input connector, but the
cost of having it done may be greater than the price of a replacement
RPi.  Especially an older version.  While you are at it, get two!

I do not know if you are bypassing over-current protection.  But does it
matter?  If the board is already broken, you will still be getting some
use out of it.

Fred

Re: Alternative power supply connection for Pi2
On Fri, 27 Dec 2019 15:51:03 -0500

It is bypassing the current protection, but you can get pretty good protection
by putting a 2A quick-blow fuse in line. Depending on what you're running, you
might even be able to go down to 1A.

--
W J G

Re: Alternative power supply connection for Pi2

Ok, it sounds like there aren't any vastly better solutions than what I'm
doing now. For the time being I'll just leave it alone and use it as-is.

If it blows, it blows

8-)

bob prohaska

Re: Alternative power supply connection for Pi2

Could try taking it to a small mobile phone repair shop. Replacing
micro USB sockets in phones is a very common requirement.

Cheers
Dave.

Re: Alternative power supply connection for Pi2

For the price of brand new Pi ...

/
Bud
/

a1=S0
b1=[1..2,'L0L']
a2=2*a1
a3=S1.4#b1
a4=(a2,a3)
a564%*a4

Re: Alternative power supply connection for Pi2
Probably cost more than a new Pi....

Re: Alternative power supply connection for Pi2

The over current protection is mainly to stop you drawing too much
current through the USB ports on the Pi. If you aren't using high
powered USB equipment, it's not going to be an issue.

Or use power supply which wont deliver over 2A.

---druck

Re: Alternative power supply connection for Pi2
On Sun, 29 Dec 2019 16:50:32 +0000

I would never recommend that. Modern ones usually then go into hiccup mode,
which (while protecting the PSU itself) under some circumstances can actually do
a lot of damage elsewhere.

Been there... T shirt :(
--
W J G

Re: Alternative power supply connection for Pi2

I should be clearer that I meant a proper bench power supply which a
current limit feature, rather a phone charger which may act as you describe.

---druck

Site Timeline