First month of comp.sys.raspberry-pi

There has been, IMHO, a great response to the new group. The first month has seen over 700 messages - averaging more than 25 per day! With some people predicting the demise of Usenet it is good to see a new Usenet newsgroup being so well used.

Of course, many people read rather than posting and there is no way to know how many of those there are. The only hint I know of is where Google reports the number subscribed via its Groups service. That number seemed for a while to stall in the twenties but has now reached

  1. Google also report in the group descriptions that comp.sys.raspberry- pi has 129 subscribers. I don't know what they derive that figure from. Perhaps it is an estimate which combines unique posting ids and their own subscribers count. Just a guess. At any rate the total number of subscribers across different Usenet providers is likely significantly higher so it seems that quite a number of people are getting some use from the new group.

James

Reply to
James Harris

There are quite a few of us.

--
Linux 3.7.4
Reply to

Reading, not posting (yet)

Reply to
Dom

yup, lurking here as well ;-)

-- Cheers,

John.

/=================================================================\ | Internode Ltd -

| |-----------------------------------------------------------------| | John Rumm - john(at)internode(dot)co(dot)uk | \=================================================================/

Reply to
John Rumm

There is a group actively shutting down newsgroups that they deem to be dead, which led me to believe that Usenet itself is on its final breaths. So it's great to see some new, active newsgroups cropping up (there is also one for Android that was created recently)! :)

- Trevor

Reply to
Trevor

On Tue, 07 May 2013 13:03:41 -0600, Trevor declaimed the following in comp.sys.raspberry-pi:

That's rather difficult to do as NNTP is a distributed peering system. Shutting down individual groups would be much harder than persuading an ISP to just shut down their NNTP Servers (one reason I'm still on a flaky Earthlink DSL line -- Earthlink still provides NNTP service [though subcontracted to Giganews ]; whereas Comcast and others have dropped NNTP totally).

To shutdown a newsgroup would require persuading all providers of NNTP servers to drop the group. Granted, they may fracture the group if they persuade a major peering server to drop it (let's imagine some ISP in St. Louis is the common point between all east coast and west coast NNTP servers, and it now drops the group, leaving peered east coast providers, and peered west coast providers -- a schism until some people decide to do a direct peering bypassing St. Louis).

And, actually, I have an example of such a schism. The Critter server is no longer peered, so alt.fan.furry exists in a (little used, as spam drove people away from the main Usenet world) peered world, and in a separate little used (as many users never configured to use the spam-filtered) Critter server)

Dennis Lee Bieber

I have seen discussions on news.groups.proposals for "the great downsizing of..." various hierarchies. It was generally the clearing out of unused groups - some of which should never have been set up in the first place. Perhaps it is more of a right-sizing process.

But, yes, some legitimate groups have seen their traffic fall off over time.

And one for vintage mac kit which was set up after this Raspberry Pi one. It too has plenty of traffic.

James

Reply to
James Harris

ering

iders of

While individual newsserver admins can make their own decisions many respond to the directions of the Big8 board for the eight hierarchies the board has in its remit.

There are other hierarchies - such as alt. - for which control is not as centralised.

James

Reply to
James Harris

You may want to read up on "control messages" and "checkgroups" and how they are validated and processed.

Reply to
Rob

er there are many free and/or cheap news servers out there if you have a 'net connection just use one of them. The server doesn't *have* to be run by your ISP. Of course if your ISP blocks port 119 that would be a bit anti-social, some of the free/cheap servers offer other ports though...

I'm in the UK and use a cheap (EUR10/year) news server in Berlin. Excellent and actively run spam filtering as well, I *very* rarely see spam in newsgroups.

Dave.
Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Yeah, news.individua provide a pretty good service. Used them myself for a couple of years.

Nice to see the R-Pi group has now been added to sdf's servers after I made that request last month. May it live long and prosper :-)

patric

--
GL
Reply to

There are many reasons why a given NNTP server peers with multiple other NNTP servers. That would be one of them, and it provides greater reliability for one's customers.

In theory, it is easy to remove newsgroups. In practice...not so much.

isn't looking good, either.
I R A Darth Aggie

Thanks for the "heads up" as they say. That's my other pet project - rooting a nook (it's not as rude as it sounds!)

--
It's a money /life balance.
Reply to

Yes, still just reading myself.