is it posibe to disable boo tEEPROm in PI4B

Just bought a PI4B 8 GB Unfortunately it does not run SDcard images from my older PI4, boot process hangs with something like 'use more modern software'. It runs OK with 2020-12-02-raspios-buster-armhf-full.zip (just downloaded from raspberry org)

Web search talks about these 4B having a boot EEPROM.. This is a problem as there is a year or more of work in the current images.

Whats up?

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

All info here, or linked from there:

A. Dumas

What would be wrong with just copying your data to a new card?

Reply to
ray carter

Put the sdcard back into the older pi4 and run update on the operating system.

apt-get update apt-get upgrade

That should update the boot loader stuff and it should boot in the 8Gb Pi4

I've done that before when upgrading Pi hardware.

Reply to
Jim Jackson

On a sunny day (Wed, 30 Dec 2020 18:13:27 -0000 (UTC)) it happened Jim Jackson wrote in :

Thank you very much, that worked! It added 1.6 GB software / updates too, just enough left of my 10 GB G4 on the last day of the month...

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

After the upgrade write:

sudo apt-get autoremove -y sudo apt-get autoclean

so you will get rid of obsolete packages.

--

-TV
Reply to

If you hadn't updated in such a long(?) time, you should also get other benefits, like the Pi 4 staying cooler.

Reply to
A. Dumas

Glad to have helped.

Ooooo... glad you were lucky there.