Improving YouTube playback on Pi3

YouTube playback has never been great with my Pi3, but it's gotten even worse after this evening's update to the OS.

The load meter hovers around 50-75% with no clear correlation between playback stalls and load. The playback progress bar (red) lags well behind the download (grey) progress bar, so I don't think it's a connection issue.

Thanks for reading, and any ideas for a fix....

bob prohaska

Reply to
bob prohaska

Can't help, as I don't have a 3 yet, and so far have failed to play *any* video on my 1B, but I'm curious as to what you are actually trying to play Youtube with? Haven't got close to that (though YT audio works).

-- Pete --

Repeal Godwin's Law!
(Remember who promised to Make Germany Great Again...)
Pete

I've been using chromium. The odd thing is that when first set up youtube videos played decently, at least for a while (days). Prolonged uptime led to thing slowing down, but that seems true of browsers on Mac OSX too, so I figured it was a memory leak in browsers or something of the sort.

A week or so ago I downloaded the very latest Chrmomium: Version 51.0.2704.91 Built on Ubuntu 14.04, running on Raspbian 8.0

and things got worse. A few days later I noticed some sort of update to Wayland and installed that, hoping it would help. No luck whatever. Even playing an audio-only youtube track causes

25-30% cpu load. Moving images, even a slideshow, push the loading up over 60% at least intermittently. Far as I can tell there's no option to set a gpu memory allocation other than default, at least in the Raspbian verision (8.0) I'm using now.

It's baffling and frustrating, especially in light of the at-least-usable performance initially. Now videos are simply unwatchable.

If anybody reading this has an idea I'd really like to hear it.

Thanks for reading,

bob prohaska

Reply to
bob prohaska