Audio went away, how to check it?

While poking around on YouTube using the Chromium browser all audio output on my Pi3+ went away without obvious cause. Normally the audio comes out the HDMI port and is picked off at the headphone jack on the monitor, with no special setup that I'm aware of.

The levels are not mute on both the browser and the system, the speaker system picks up hum when I touch the cable end where it plugs into the monitor. Chromium reports it is at Version 65.0.3325.181 (Official Build) Built on Raspbian , running on Raspbian 9.6 (32-bit)

Are there any other software switches or status that can be checked? It's possible the monitor's audio section quit, but software trouble seems a great deal more plausible.

Is there a way to bypass the hdmi in the monitor to check for output directly at the Pi's audio jack?

I've not yet tried rebooting, but will do that as soon as a running job completes.

Thanks for reading, and any ideas!

bob prohaska

Reply to
bob prohaska

Turned out to be the monitor after all. The monitor wouldn't respond to the power button, after pulling its plug all is back to normal.

I'd still be curious to know more about testing audio output on the Pi.

Thanks,

bob prohaska

bob prohaska wrote:

Reply to
bob prohaska

You can always plug in headphones in the headphone jack of the RPi. AFAIK, audio always goes to both HDMI and jack.

Reply to
Anssi Saari

No it doesn't. Use "sudo raspi-config" to pick always hdmi, always jack or auto (which is not both, but could maybe flip over if you plug in one or the other; idk). Or use "amixer cset numid=3 0" where the last number selects the audio output: 0=auto, 1=jack, 2=hdmi. Doesn't need sudo and does persist across reboots.

Reply to
A. Dumas

Thanks to everyone for a most informative thread!

bob prohaska

Reply to
bob prohaska