Fast start and safe switch off

Yes.

There is a switch in the side of the socket that presses against the slider. No actual connection inside the card at all.

On cheap sockets the switch isn't present. It is present on the Pi, but is not connected to anything.

Dom.

Reply to
Dom

It requires there to be a microswitch on the holder, as well as software reading that switch. The S in SD does *not* stand for "smart" and the slider is about equivalent to the record prevent tabs on compact and VHS cassettes. The card itself is actually quite dumb in many ways.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Reply to
John Williamson

Thanks, both John and Dom (in a separate reply) for the info. I'll increase the frequency of making backups of SD cards that hold significant content.

--
Robert Riches
spamtrap42@jacob21819.net

don't tell this to one of my pis and the card in it :)

gregor

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
gregor herrmann

To follow up on this with some info that might interest others, when keyboard and display are added (and 3-button mouse if using RiscOS) the Pi option increases in cost a little. That's always been the case but with small tablet computers now coming out at greatly reduced prices they may be a better option.

For example, in the UK Carphone Warehouse recently had a special offer of a

7-inch tablet for £49 (quickly sold out, apparently) and Morgan Computers are selling a 9-inch as-new tablet for about £60. A tablet computer would come with display, soft keyboard etc and need no cables so it may be a better option for this application.

With a bit of a small-computer price war going on we've never had it so good. :-)

Related: in case anyone else is interested I noticed on Coursera that there is a course on programming Android handheld systems coming up in January

2014.

James

Reply to
James Harris

I've been using a 6V-acco-powered rPi to play .wav files for the last

2 months, with 'power-off' during either the .wav or 2 prompts, to achieve one-of-three actions:
  1. demote this *.wav to not play again;
  2. delete the just played *.wav from the play-stak by `mv .wav .wax`;
  3. safe-landing area: to leave the *.wav on the stack, for replaying.

My first version only had facility . When I added stages 1 & 3, I had unexpected results. on this group IIRC solved it, by `sync`. The problem is that for *nix: aplay prompt1.wav mv fl.wax fl.wav aplay prompt2.wav cutting the power WHILE you HEAR prompt 2, does NOT mean that mv fl.wax fl.wav has been DONE, because *nix does the write 'when it's convenient', unless forced to by `sysnc`.

Reply to
Unknown
[]

Now says starts in June.

--
It's a money /life balance.
Reply to

It's strange that that's what you see. To me it shows 21 January 2014, i.e. next week.

If it helps, IIRC the same web site has at least one other Android offering.

James

Reply to
James Harris

Doh!, I was reading on about another course, in the body of the text. Sorry.

--
It's a money /life balance.
Reply to