External disk with the pi 4, anyone

I've made a root partition, as well as a swap partition on a spinning

160Gb disk.

This is my present cmdline.txt file before any changes, and it looks a bit different than new or changed line. Does it matter.

dwc_otg.lpm_enable=0 console=serial0,115200 console=tty1 root=PARTUUID=4eae5394-02 rootfstype=ext4 elevator=deadline fsck.repair=yes rootwait quiet splash plymouth.ignore-serial-consoles

Reply to
RobH

USB drives are far faster, and more reliable.

If you haven't had an SD card fail, you really aren't using the Pi very much.

---druck

Reply to
druck

Most certainly not on my old Pies, USB there sucks. USB connectors suck big time and the Linux kernel gets confused by multiple re-connects and renumbers the devices so nothing works anymore, then finally runs out of device numbers, USB3 on my new Pi4 seems fast, at least it can keep up with my typing speed, the old Pies could not. No kidding.

That is silly One is on 24/7 since it came out (PI2), the other about 8/7. Both extensively use GPIO with hardware I designed, run totally modified software versions that I wrote. And all are regularly connected via SSH to my laptop or main PC and get modifications almost every week if not every day. The 24/7 on one also logs loads of data to SDcard.

Look at his project, on 24/7:

On 8/7:

This one is on every now and then when I need it:
NONE of the cards have failed, and were just run of the mill SDcards.

My net connection at this moment is a 4G stick in an other Raspberry Pi2 that is used as router. It never fails. And I do not always treat those things nicely, power off / on sequences etc.

Again it is the player, NOT the instrument If you screw up card after card you are doing something wrong. ' My just new Pi4 with a 4TB harddisk hanging from it boots also from SDcard. It is taking over much of the other things like security that needs to run 24/7, satellite recording (movies) etc etc, work in progress. Just had it 3 weeks OK?

So what can you show us?

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

The root=PARTUUID= bit refers to the second partition on your SD card. Use blkid to find the PARTUUID or UUID of what will become the root partition on the HDD. Change 4eae5394-02 to whatever you found from the blkid command. If you have no PARTUUID on the HDD, use the UUID and change root=PARTUUID= to root=UUID= net.ifnames=0 and biosdevname=0 are only needed if you want to refer to your network interfaces as eth0 and wlan0 usbhid.mousepoll=0 compensates for a mouse connected over a wireless USB connection (dongle). A bluetooth mouse doesn't need it. Wired USB mouse may or may not. If you get lag, try it.

--

Chris Elvidge, England
Reply to