Details of boot procedure?

We are trying to get Oberon to run on the rPi. ETHO is a killer-app for people who don't want to continually change view between kybrd & screen; and want menu based to eliminate the need to remember detailed-spelling; but not Xmas-cartoons like Win.

--
wily is available for rPi and is my prefered , although the up/down
: left/right mouse scroll is reversed w.r.t. ETHO - which wily admits

I initially ignored this post as I was not too sure what most of it was about - and I suspect others felt the same. But as it is short of replies I will have a go at responding.

I cannot speak for these but they might help:

IIRC Arm CPUs can be set to boot from low or high memory by altering the coprocessor CP15.

There is a document from Broadcom available. It is linked to from the following page which also has other info that might be of use

James

Reply to
James Harris

I'll ad what I understand the case to be.

The ROM based stage-1 boot supports booting from SD card (FAT filesystem, first partition, file called "bootcode.bin"), or as a USB slave (using USB OTG mode) which will only work with the Model A or the new Compute module, as the USB hub on the Model B blocks this function.

The Boot vector for the ARM is set by the GPU. You basically have the option of the default 0x8000 or an alternative 0x0000.

The boot ROM does not exist in CPU memory space at all.

Reply to
Dom

boots-up/

boot.html

Thanks, I'll check those links, if I live long enough. It amazes me how people can have complex URLs, but no simple answers. Why did I mention ETHOberon in this thread? It's working nicely now on rPi, provided I set the font in /boot/co*xt.

Reply to
Unknown

boots-up/

part-1-boot.html

Wow, it's much more complex than I hoped. Like: don't-go-there!! OTOH you could say "you need not be concerned with the semi-conductor physics to use it"?

Thanks.

Reply to
Unknown