Desktop computer screen on Raspberry Pi

No dear. I keep up to date on all these issues. My router is not one of those.

Although it has got 'cisco' on the front.

*shrug* ssh means setting up 'password' files. If the server is compromised so are those files anyway.

that's because its owner has a huge experience of network security behind him.

--
Ineptocracy

(in-ep-toc?-ra-cy) ? a system of government where the least capable to
diminishing number of producers.
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Yes, I meant using remote X display with _NO_ ssh involvement. The mechanism I was referring to uses xhost on the display side to allow connections and setting $DISPLAY on the sending side to include a hostname or IP address. As far as I am aware, it does not require xdm, because I was using it during the 1980s and had never heard of xdm at that time.

Regards,

--
Robert Riches
spamtrap42@jacob21819.net

Yes I know that telnet and rsh are deprecated. My point was that you don't need to run a shell session on a remote system in order to start x-apps. Xdm can directly connect to a remote system and give you a desktop as if you were using the remote system's console.

Regards,

Kees.

--
Kees Theunissen.
Reply to

You can do, but it is hideously slow as the VNC client isn't using any GPU acceleration.

---druck

Reply to
druck

Fair point, but I just wanted to point out that 'ssh tunnel' is not necessarily the same as 'ssh'.

Sure. Done that in other environments (think eXceed or Hummingbird on a 'doze box). However, for my usual way of working the command line is preferable.

--
martin@   | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK

If the Chrome browser runs on the Raspberry Pi could you use the Chrome Remote Desktop extension?

--
Barry A.
To reply by email:- barry d o t allen a t talktalk d o t net

FWIW, actual experience with VNC performance is it's primarily CPU and network bound.

Reply to
Chris Baird

It doesn't. Chromium only (not the same thing).

not available for any worthwhile operating system.

--
For a good time: install ntp
Reply to

Ah yes, I remember seeing an article about using the Chromium browser on a Raspberry Pi to access Google's Cloud Print facility.

Barry A.
To reply by email:- barry d o t allen a t talktalk d o t net
Replace the d o t and a t by the usual.
Reply to
Barry Allen (news)

Its only CPU bound because the GPU isn't helping. There's no problem with the network, I've used VNC over far slower.

---druck

Reply to
druck

In the pidora distro you have all these packages:

[mcampos@raspi ~]$ yum list *vnc* Loaded plug> >> I take it that there are no VNC clients for Raspbmc?
Reply to
Marco Campos