Copy Files

On a sunny day (Sun, 15 Jul 2018 09:26:31 +1200) it happened snipped-for-privacy@f200.n42.z1.binkp.net (IB JOE) wrote in :

OK, I think I got what going on, your source directory is more likely (if you logged in aa 'pi') /home/pi/Desktop/Temp/public

Note the /home/pi, or /home/some_user/ for otehr users ?

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

~ is an abbreviation for $HOME - the home directory of the user you are currently logged in as.

-- Steve O'Hara-Smith | Directable Mirror Arrays C:\>WIN | A better way to focus the sun The computer obeys and wins. | licences available see You lose and Bill collects. |

Ahem A Rivet's Shot

vi (or emacs or joe or any other text editor), provided you know HTML.

-- Steve O'Hara-Smith | Directable Mirror Arrays C:\>WIN | A better way to focus the sun The computer obeys and wins. | licences available see You lose and Bill collects. |

Ahem A Rivet's Shot

There's another command you need to know: pwd This tells you which directory you're in:

- in root it will show /root - which is root's home directory

- "cd ~/home" should fail unless (assuming pi is your home) you have a directory called 'home' in the pi user, i.e. /home/pi/home exists

--
Martin    | martin at
Gregorie  | gregorie dot org

Its /home/pi/Desktop/whatever

Users files are all under /home/

Read /etc/passwd to see where home dirs are defined

--
In a Time of Universal Deceit, Telling the Truth Is a Revolutionary Act.

- George Orwell
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Geany is pretty damed good as a basic text editor that 'understands' raw html

Dunno what there is in terms of e.g. dreamweaver type bollocks around

and/or military consequences of the lie. It thus becomes vitally
important for the State to use all of its powers to repress dissent, for
the truth is the mortal enemy of the lie, and thus by extension, the
truth is the greatest enemy of the State.

Joseph Goebbels
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Just use vi, gedit or even nano (if you must).

Then install the 'tidy' package. Tidy is a program that reports HTML errors and can also tidy up the content of an HTML page. I always write web pages with my usual text editor and then run "tidy -e mypage.html" on them to pick up errors. You may also want the latest version of Elizebeth Castro's "HTML for the World Wide Web" - its a great combination of tutorial and reference and also covers CSS pages.

--
Martin    | martin at
Gregorie  | gregorie dot org

On a sunny day (Sun, 15 Jul 2018 17:26:32 +0000 (UTC)) it happened Martin Gregorie wrote in :

Also useful is whoami root@raspberrypi:~/compile/pantel/ip_to_country# whoami root

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

If its any consolation, Apache is one of the most complex programs to configure that you're likely to meet - not surprising when you see the range of stuff it can handle.

By comparison Postfix, bind and PostgreSQL are doddles.

--
Martin    | martin at
Gregorie  | gregorie dot org

Or use the shorthand notation of

~user

in this case, ~pi/ == /home/pi

isn't looking good, either.
I R A Darth Aggie

A good alternative to Apache is nginx, its easier to configure and uses far less resources (memory and threads) on the Raspberry Pi.

---druck

Reply to
druck

Could I suggest that a copy of "Linux in a Nutshell" might be a good investment?

It assumes knowledge of at least one other OS and consequently is quite terse and is intended as a reference book for people unfamiliar with Linux/UNIX. I, at least, found it useful for initial guidance until I discovered the three built-in information sources in Linux:

- apropos what-i-want-to-know-about # a command for searching manpage # title lines for matches

- man thing # shows the mini-manual for the # 'thing' command or library # function

- look in /usr/share/docs # may be minimal or absent on an RPi

*** I use Redhat Fedora as my everyday OS. It has all three of these info sources available by default, but as the RPi is a small system, with not much RAM and even smaller filespace (8GB SD card on mine), /usr/share may be absent on the RPi. Full disclosure: since I run Linux all day, every day with 500 GB disks, I never bother to look for /usr/share on my RPi, hence I don't know what, if anything, is in /usr/share on an RPi. So shoot me!
--
Martin    | martin at
Gregorie  | gregorie dot org

Never tried sendmail then?

Yes...

--
  ?A leader is best When people barely know he exists. Of a good leader,
?We did this ourselves.?

? Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I'll pass on the shooting part, since I didn't know, either. But it seems to be mostly empty, tho the directory structure appears to be there, and most of the actual files are copyright notices, the occasional changelog or readme.

isn't looking good, either.
I R A Darth Aggie