Connecting to an iPad

When I plug an iPad into my Pi3 both devices seem to notice the connection, but an attempt to access the iPad from Raspbian results in Error Failed to get folder list: -1 Unspecified error

The Pi seems to think the iPad is a camers, which is a good start.

The iPad asks "Allow this device to access photos and videos?", to which I touch Allow. No error is reported.

Is a useful connection possible?

Thanks for reading,

bob prohaska

Reply to
bob prohaska

Hello bob!

Friday February 01 2019 03:04, you wrote to All:

If this was an Andriod device I would say it is related to the fact that it is has not been rooted.

I have a similar feeling that it is similar although I have no idea how to get around it.

Yet another reason for seeling off my Ipad very quickly.

Vince

Reply to
Vince Coen

not 100% sure but you may need to install something that understands phones better.

I get limited access to my android phone (can copy and delete but not access directly, and changing the contents requires an fsck by the phone)

try installing package libimobiledevice-utils.

let them."
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

What sort of connection is it - USB Ethernet/wifi?

Either way, you need to know what sort of services the iPad is advertsing

For USB =======

The Ipad should show up as another storage volume if you're running a graphical file manager on the RPi. If you're at command-line level, run "ls /dev" if the iPad is connected, that should show sda and sda1. If it is not connected you won't see sda and sda1

With it connected, if you do something like:

$ mkdir ipad $ sudo mount /dev/sda1 ipad $ ls ipad

using the console you should see files on the iPad and be able to copy/ move/delete them. Wgenb you're done.

$ sudo umount /dev/sda1 $ rmdir ipad

will clean up after you.

For an Ethernet/wifi connection ===============================

You need to know what services the iPad is offering. The easiest way of doing that it to run imap to scan the ports on the iPad, something like

$ nmap 1.2.3.4

should do the trick where 1.2.3.4 is the IP address of the iPad or its host name if it has one on your network. This gets a list of the services its offering which would hopefully include FTP and/or SSH for file transfers using the ftp or sftp clients.

If nmap is not installed, which is quite likely, running

$ sudo apt-get nmap

will install it.

--
Martin    | martin at
Gregorie  | gregorie dot org

I'm not an Apple user but I think you will find iPads, iPhones support a proprietary protocol and I don't know if drivers for Linux are available to handle transfers to and from them.

Reply to
mm0fmf

It's some years ago that I tried... I expected the same as you, but was surprised that the iPhone supported MTP in what seemes a perfectly standard way.

Android phones, when plugged in, default to charge only. You have to change the setting, every time you plug in, if you want to exchange files via MTP. It's a simple security mechanism. I would expect iDevices to do something similar, for the same reason.

Dave

Reply to
David Higton

Apologies for the unclarity, it's USB.

On the Pi a file manager window can be opened, with a URL of gphoto2://[usb:001,008]/ and a single folder named store_00010001

If I double-click on the folder an error dialog saying "Failed to get folder list: -1 Unspecified error" with an "ok" button pops up.

A private email pointed me to

but that seems unidirection _to_ the iPad. My immediate interest was moving content _from_ the iPad.

If I look at /dev on the Pi I see /dev/sda but no /dev/sda1. The little "eject" button at top-right on the screen reports "no ejectable devices" but it does the same thing on my camera and I can extract photos from it.

Nmap reports Starting Nmap 7.40 (

) at 2019-02-01 14:55 PST Nmap scan report for 192.168.1.18 Host is up (0.0067s latency). Not shown: 999 closed ports PORT STATE SERVICE

62078/tcp open iphone-sync

Nmap done: 1 IP address (1 host up) scanned in 44.24 seconds

It appears the iPad is locked down tight.

Thanks for writing!

bob prohaska

Reply to
bob prohaska

You mentioned cameras, so that was what I saw when I connected a Panasonic TZ-70 to my RPi - I assumed that /dev/sda was the SD card in the camera and /dev/sda1 was a partition or equivalent. As you could see, I was able to mount /dev/sda1 on my Pi and then, cd into the directory it was mounted on and see the directories etc in it that I knew were in the card. The card also mounted as read-only and again that fit because conecting the camera to this laptop (a Lenovo T440 running Fedora 28) on a USB connection lets me open it with the file manager but it is only ever mounted in read-only mode.

I've just put the card into the T440's SD card slot and pointed gparted at it. This says the card contains one FAT32 7.4GB partition that it refers to as /dev/mmcblk0p1 and 4MB of unallocated space - this is how the camera formatted the SD card.

Since, on an RPi, /dev/mmcblk0p1 is similar (the same?) as the name of its boot disk (and that's a FAT32 partition) and the Linux filing system is in an ext4 partition referred to as /dev/sda, it looks as if the mmcblk* type of name may be used by all modern Linuxes for FAT32 partitions. When mounted, 'df' shows it under this name too.

Your iPad will have formatted its memory to suit some flavour of IOS and its quite likely that there are no RPi drivers capable of reading a chunk of flash memory that's been formatted to suit IOS.

Not necessarily - just that it is only listening for iphone-sync TCP connections on port 62078 - most likely that's a protocol that RPis don't support.

No problem - its always interesting to mess about with tools like nmap to find out what they can see - and its a very useful tool to have if you have firewall problems.

The other one to bear in mind for trouble shooting is Wireshark, which catches and analyses data packets on an Ethernet connection. I have it, use it once a year at the most, but wouldn't want to be without it when it comes to sorting some types of network connection problems.

--
Martin    | martin at
Gregorie  | gregorie dot org

It's good to know they now support MTP at least. I wonder if that's a recent (relatively) addition?

Reply to
mm0fmf

You have never worked with an iOS device, have you? Unfortunately, that's not how they work. You can never ever see a file system :( Unless the device is rooted, I guess, but I never tried that.

Reply to
A. Dumas

No.

On the RPi,

mmcblk0 is always the (first) SD card in Linux, when in the SD card slot. mmcblk0p1, the first partition; mmcblk0p2 the second, etc.

sda is the first USB connected drive. If you put an SD card into a USB SD card reader, it will come up as sd?

AFAIK this SD card nomenclature also holds for any Linux-driven PC. Macs may vary, I don't know.

--

Chris Elvidge, England
Reply to

Indeed, as I saw just now (T440 running Fedora 28) with the card in the T440's internal slot.

OK, that may be true on an RPi, but its not quite so on machines with internal HDD or SSD volume: sda, sdb,.. are allocated to the permanently attached drive, with USB drives added to the end of the list.

Macs presumably use whatever device naming scheme they inherited from BSD.

--
Martin    | martin at
Gregorie  | gregorie dot org

..got it in one. Never owned a tablet: never needed one.

PNAs are a different case - essential for some stuff I do. Now that WinCE is no longer a thing I wish you could buy PNAs with 3.5" or 4.2" transreflective touch screens that run some form of Linux, but an RPi with 2.8" or 7" touch screen (and no case) is about as good as it gets.

--
Martin    | martin at
Gregorie  | gregorie dot org

I've a Sharp Zaurus SL-5500 Linux PDA for sale.

Reply to
mm0fmf

That looks like a well made bit of kit - very similar in size to a iPAQ

3630 by the look of it, which makes it too big for my requirement - I can't use anything bigger than a 3.5" screen or it will start obscuring stuff on the panel behind it. The Medion GoPal S3747 I'm currently using is 105x82x26 mm:

The second link shows my one, running my preferred LK8000 software and sitting in an apple tree in my garden.

--
Martin    | martin at
Gregorie  | gregorie dot org

I had to spend some time searching for a measuring stick calibrated in such archaic units. My old schoool ruler from 1974 was pressed into use.

The visible screen is 2.9 x 2.4 of your imperial units.

Reply to
mm0fmf

Yeah, as I said, 3.5" on the diagonal. The frame is a bit wide, but you can't have everything, and it does have a fairly large (800mAh) swappable battery with the micro SD card slot under the battery (so it isn't going to fall out) and a substantial rear cover held on by a single thumbscrew. As to why the size is an issue, here's a shot of the S.3747 in place on my panel. As you can see, if it was any bigger, the backup vario and the FLARM display would become really hard to see, and the radio would get hard to use:

Martin    | martin at
Gregorie  | gregorie dot org
Reply to
Martin Gregorie

On 02/02/2019 18:53, Martin Gregorie wrote: [snip]

Ah, my old route to work between St Neots and Cambridge. If only I had been flying over that westerly bit of A428 instead of driving, I would have a few days of my life back.

---druck

Reply to
druck

You should have visited - the club has been at GRL since 1996. It moved there from Duxford when the airshow scene took off and impacted club flying.

--
Martin    | martin at
Gregorie  | gregorie dot org

Well, like I said, it's some years since I tried, and the iPhone in question did then. It can't be very new.

MTP is quite useful. Since it accesses stuff at file level, not block level, it can be accessed by both the phone and the USB host simultaneously. It's possible to make the phone/device look like a drive, but it's up to the host sofftware whether it does so.

Dave

Reply to
David Higton