RPi3B+ wifi configuration

Is it possible to search for and select a wifi access point using the GUI on Raspbian 4.14.98-v7+ #1200 SMP Tue Feb 12 20:27:48 GMT

2019 armv7l GNU/Linux ? It's up-to-date as of a few minutes ago.

When I mouse over the wifi icon in the menu bar a popup reports the existing wifi connection, but if I click on the icon the popup reports "no wireless interfaces found", which makes no sense at all.

In the end raspi-config did the job, but I don't remember having to use it before this time.

Is something misconfigured?

Thanks for reading,

bob prohaska

Reply to
bob prohaska

If you are already connected to an access point, you may have to disconnect before the WiFi chip will scan for other access points.

---druck

Reply to
druck

No, in this case I changed the access point, so I had no connection. Clicking on the wireless icon didn't bring up a list of access points.

Using raspi-config worked, but it didn't scan and show a list of access points. It just gave a place to type in the name and password.

Thanks for reading!

bob prohaska

Reply to
bob prohaska

On Sun, 7 Apr 2019 01:01:46 +0000 (UTC), bob prohaska declaimed the following:

Access point that doesn't broadcast the SSID? (this was my normal configuration: no SSID broadcast and MAC address filtering -- but my most recent Nook and phone refuse to attempt to connect to memorized APs unless they see the AP SSID first)

Dennis Lee Bieber

Nope. Broadcasts loud and clear.

There are a couple websites that claim clicking on the wifi icon should bring up a list of detectable APs, which is what got me to wondering what's going on. Are they referring to an older version of Raspbian? Thanks for reading,

bob prohaska

Reply to
bob prohaska