Blinkenlights?

Hello Jan,

JP> Yes, I remember a German university maybe 10 years or so ago modulating JP> the office lights to make a LAN.

JP> Much longer ago I started playing with IR diodes and lasers, at that JP> time helium neon lasers.

I have a hearing aid for tv listening that also works with IR. The first version was in mono and is much affected negative by the new low energy saving lightbulbs ;-( I had to place an emty toilet rol at the receiving ir led to catch the transmitted signal from the unit near by the tv set. You know this Sennheiser HD407S ? The later Ri810S sereo IR set did not have that problem. I also have FM version RR820S for the hard of hearing.

JP> Here a warning is in place, apart from Schiphol airport alert that some JP> alien spacecraft was detected the same day I tried the HeNe thing, JP> I also got hit in the eye by a simple reflection from a thee spoon in JP> the room, no harm done, but it did hurt, so beware.

I know, so never look into IR ligths. I now have a Bosch distance meter wit IR, and since last year a Fluke 62 Max IR thermometer also with Led, but you can switch that red signal light off, if you want to. It works great up to 500 oC. I use it to signal the temp of very many things, but especially the diesel engines of my brothers inland ship, i.e cooling water, and exhaust temps.

JP> This because I see they want to go and use laser pointers. JP> Also the pointing with lasers is very critical.

Yes. May be later on we get IR protected glasses to wear?

JP> This is one of my arguments against those scanning lasers for JP> selfdriving cars, with millions (several per car) scanning lasers JP> around I do not want to be on - or near the road.

Yes, and for childern it is even more dangerous. But I think it is the same laser as used in supermarkets for scanning the goods you want to buy?

JP> BTW did you receive my email about that large file

Yes I did, but I was so busy after two weeks sailing in the second half of March, that I still did not have the time to answer your mail, sorry.

JP> and did you get it?

No, but I still would like to get it.

JP> because I removed it again after a while.

That is a pity. Can we arrange another try?

JP> I think, personally, digitenne is dead.

For the type 1 system you are right, but the new Type 2 has much more quality like HD tv

Henri.

Reply to
Henri Derksen

On a sunny day (Sun, 22 Apr 2018 02:02:59 -0500) it happened Michael J. Mahon wrote in :

Yes, security can be an issue too.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Sat, 21 Apr 2018 15:36:00 +1200) it happened snipped-for-privacy@f1208.n80.z2.binkp.net (Henri Derksen) wrote in :

No, I just checked that out.

Yes, I remember a German university maybe 10 years or so ago modulating the office lights to make a LAN.

Much longer ago I started playing with IR diodes and lasers, at that time helium neon lasers. Here a warning is in place, apart from Schiphol airport alert that some alien spacecraft was detected the same day I tried the HeNe thing, I also got hit in the eye by a simple reflection from a thee spoon in the room, no harm done, but it did hurt, so beware. This because I see they want to go and use laser pointers. Also the pointing with lasers is very critical. This is one of my arguments against those scanning lasers for selfdriving cars, with millions (several per car) scanning lasers around I do not want to be on - or near the road. For the rest the 'tronix hard-and software is indeed simple can can be build in a day or 2 maybe. There are also IR based simultaneous translations system in use all over the world, little radios that listen on IR for translation in conferences etc. As soon as you have 2 way you can do Ethernet, that is obvious.

BTW did you receive my email about that large file and did you get it? because I removed it again after a while.

Yes, you can buy that stuff, still expensive, around 1500 Euro last time I looked. Would be nice for 2 way if you used one of the satellite internet providers. Coverage? I have considered that, probably much of the North Sea (for sure) and Atlantic, much cheaper than satphones in use. I have read Elon Musk is working on launching a new satellite service, competition is good, prices may come down.

Yes, well I do get lousy digitenne reception at home, but I have cable so who cares. I think, personally, digitenne is dead.

Yea, well I got my own AIS stuff working very well, great conditions too for AIS today, screen full of ships this morning. I have many projects going, need to update the website some day..... Now I was playing with gammaspectromerty (is identifying radioactive isotopes, may need that with strumpf).

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

So they finally got a computer at Battersea...! When I was there (a bit earlier... (:-)) we were controlling rolling mills with uniselectors! BISRA Park Lane had a Pegasus, but I never got to touch that.

-- Pete --

Reply to
Pete

Peter Brown with wife Eithne?

Reply to
Gareth's Downstairs Computer

On a sunny day (Sun, 22 Apr 2018 19:43:00 +1200) it happened snipped-for-privacy@f1208.n80.z2.binkp.net (Henri Derksen) wrote in :

No, but I have a Sennheiser HD201 headphones, good sound, and some earplugs of the same manufacturer. My hearing is almost supernatural so good. I worked in audio in the studios of you know where. But with age the very high frequency range is getting less and less. Above 10 kHz it goes down these days.

I have some bluetooth headphones, made in China too.

Aha, I have one of these:

amazing for that price, use it everyday, even for cooking. I did put a piece of tape over the laser output hole.

Actually I get most stuff from ebay these days, I have some more fascinating meters.... What you would like on board is something like this to measure DC:

Yea, lasers, I have a lot of that stuff, and special glasses for red and blue lasers, this one is a bit more powerful:

wearing special glasses there too. I think I also uploaded one burning right through dyneema :-) You can remotely cut dyneema rigging that way... Maybe it was removed ?

There is a physics thing, first of course 'nothing ever fails' (the scanning) is not true, since Murphy says "'it is not 'if' it fails, but 'when' ", many of those scanning laser failures will result in a direct beam. The second thing is, if the beam scans left to right, and you turn right to left at the same rotational speed, then you protect a not scanning beam. Traffic is all about turning all the time, so..

OK, link is back up, will leave it there till next Monday.

They are planning what's it? fifth generation network '5G' for cellphones, If that really has the throughput they claim, then you can use that network for streaming of movies, even on request.

Why use 2 networks? Infrastructure is expensive, 10 Gbps is more than enough for movies. I do not have an ?pad atm, but if any of that stuff has HDMI output, then you could stick it in your TV. The national network could go on that.

The commercial are leaving digitenne in Germany:

I have satellite, a movable dish, and get a lot of German channels, also a lot of UK channels and very old Bonanza on CBS .. All FTA. Wrote some scripts, basically all I have to say is 'show BBC one' and it will pop up on my PC. Or 'show CNN', same for RT (Russia today), CCTV (China) and hundreds (really!) of others. I have the voice control off normally, just type it in a terminal, voice is not perfect and may be triggered by noise, is very old code. The Dutch satellite channels were encrypted last time I looked, no idea what they want to hide ;-) I by now have about 900 DVDs with recorded movies.

Have fun on that river!

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

No offense, but this seems to ave become very off-topic

Reply to
Tony van der Hoff

On a sunny day (Mon, 23 Apr 2018 09:51:35 +0100) it happened Tony van der Hoff wrote in :

As to you, old says goes: If you have nothing to say do not say it.

Not only do you present zero content, you also pollute the group with you retarded policing efforts.

Show your work, or f*ck off.

Takes flee swatter and ..

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Well, perhaps his post wasn't very constructive, but yours is on another level. Dumas!

A. Dumas

I guess you're asking if that's me? Sorry -- I'm afraid not..

-- Pete --

Reply to
Pete

Plonk.

Reply to
druck

Yes, just guessing, a former colleague who worked on control systems at British Steel.