Yamaha receiver has slight noise/static only in DSP modes. Ideas on where to look?

It's a RX-V620 and only has this problem in the surround/DSP modes. I'm a tech but not an audio tech.

Can someone please tell me any common failures for this symptom and which circuit(s) to check? DSP IC, DAC, ???

Thanks Thad

Reply to
tem00

Could be the YSS chip, the DRAM, or a codec A/D chip either one. These kinds of problems are some of the worst. Later model Yamaha's have built-in diagnostics which can sometimes help isolate the problem, but not always. I was fooled on one recently. Replaced the YSS chip as indicated, no fix.

My guess is the YSS chip, but the surest fix is to replace the DSP board, which Yamaha probably does still have - but it's going to be expensive...

Mark Z.

Reply to
Mark D. Zacharias

Thanks,

After more digging. Problem is only when DSP is on analog inputs.

Mark D. Zacharias wrote:

Reply to
tem00