XM Begins 5.1 Surround Broadcasts

XM Satellite Radio and Neural Audio Achieve Audio Breakthrough With Radio's First 24-Hour Channels in 5.1 Surround Sound PR Newswire - December 28, 2005 13:42

Denon, Onkyo, Pioneer, and Yamaha to Introduce Home Audio Systems That Play Select XM Music Channels and Programs in XM HD Surround Powered by Neural Audio

WASHINGTON, Dec 28, 2005 /PRNewswire-FirstCall via COMTEX/ -- XM Satellite Radio, the nation's leading satellite radio company, will broadcast select XM music channels in 5.1 Surround Sound, marking the first time that a radio company has broadcast in 5.1 Surround Sound twenty-four hours a day.

(Logo:

)

The audio breakthrough was announced today by XM and Neural Audio Corporation, a leading provider of digital signal processing and surround sound technology for the broadcast industry, in advance of the

2006 International Consumer Electronics Show (CES). The new offering of 5.1 Surround on XM is called XM HD Surround, which provides content with six discrete channels of digital full fidelity audio powered by Neural Audio technology.

Beginning in March 2006, XM will broadcast the free-form music channel Fine Tuning (XM Channel 76) and the classical pops music channel XM Pops (XM Channel 113) in XM HD Surround. XM will also broadcast a variety of special shows and live music performances at the XM studios in XM HD Surround.

XM manufacturing partners such as Denon, Onkyo, Pioneer Electronics (USA) Inc., and Yamaha will introduce home audio systems capable of playing XM HD Surround powered by Neural Audio in 2006.

XM will demonstrate XM HD Surround broadcasts at the 2006 CES January

5-8 in the XM booth #4606 in the North Hall of the Las Vegas Convention Center.

"XM is the first radio company -- satellite or terrestrial -- to broadcast 5.1 Surround Sound on the radio 24 hours a day," said Hugh Panero, XM President and CEO. "Terrestrial radio stations are just starting to convert from analog to digital. XM has been broadcasting in digital format since the day we launched in 2001, and now we are taking another leap forward with the introduction of 5.1 Surround in partnership with Neural Audio. XM HD Surround is the latest example of the technological edge that has made XM the number- one satellite radio company.

"XM was the first company to offer satellite radio, the first to introduce satellite radios for the car and home, and the first to offer portable, live satellite radios. Now we're the first to offer radio channels in 5.1 Surround every minute of every day. We have an outstanding partnership with Neural Audio, which shares the same passion for high-quality sound that we have at XM," Panero added.

"XM HD Surround is setting the bar at a new level with surround sound that enriches the listener's experience with full envelopment and image detail never before available in traditional broadcast," said Geir R. Skaaden, Neural Audio CEO. "We are excited to partner with XM to provide the largest source of 5.1 original music content of any medium today."

Home audio systems enabled with Neural Surround will deliver the full surround experience of XM HD Surround. These broadcasts can also be heard on any existing mono, stereo, or matrix style receiver.

Reply to
frontmed

Why the proprietary format?

Won't this render existing Connect and Play hardware obsolete?

What's wrong with dolby digital?

Reply to
David

Why not?

Good question. Maybe, maybe not.

Reply to
frontmed

Old news but revelent\

RoadRunner

10-02-04, 12:43 AM Here's the press release in it's entirety. I've highlighted a few things in reponse to dbdsac's comments. New Feature Won't Require Any Additional Hardware for Consumers

LAS VEGAS and NEW YORK, Jan. 7 -- CES -- SIRIUS Satellite Radio, known for delivering the very best in commercial-free music and premium sports programming to cars and homes across the country, today demonstrated the first surround sound capabilities for satellite radio with a matrix surround signal over one of SIRIUS' music streams.

SIRIUS has chosen to adopt the Dolby Pro Logic II as the standard for encoding. The surround sound feature is compatible with virtually all surround sound audio systems already on the market for both the home and the car, including such names as Logic 7(TM), Circle Surround(TM), Dolby Pro Logic I & II(TM), DTS(TM) and more.

SIRIUS chose Dolby Pro Logic II because it utilizes very small numbers of bits to provide a higher-degree of channel separation. More importantly, it allows SIRIUS surround sound broadcasts to be backwards compatible with more than 100 million existing home A/V receivers, as well as surround sound systems in most automobiles. Dolby is expected to work with SIRIUS to optimize the encoding system for Dolby surround sound.

"SIRIUS subscribers have asked for multi-channel surround sound and we are thrilled to be the first satellite radio provider to offer this capability," said Larry Pesce, Senior Vice President Product Development and Strategic Planning, SIRIUS. "As a premium service, we will continue to introduce capabilities and services that enrich the SIRIUS entertainment experience, at no additional cost to our subscribers."

As most content on today's CDS was not recorded in multi-channel format, SIRIUS has begun updating its library to include multi-channel DVD Audio discs and SACD discs. The first multi-channel recordings and broadcasts will be of SIRIUS Sessions, SIRIUS' daily live concert series. SIRIUS will broadcast surround sound across all streams where multi-channel can be enjoyed, beginning with the CES 2004 demonstration.

Bingo_17

Yeah, olderdog.

Where's the damned beef?

Sirius promises everything and delivers shit. CES Video for three years running? XM delivers first. Surround sound? XM delivers first. Wearable receivers? XM delivers, Sirius can't.

You guys are hilarious. Sirius has yet to deliver a "first" anything in satellite radio except the first to throw a half billion at Howard Stern and the first to lose $700 million in a year -- a record they now hold for two years running.

Reply to
frontmed

Yeah, sure, XM may have wearables, surround sound, connect and play and this and that but it can't fill the void -- the void that Sirius has Sir-perior programming. I mean look at HD Radio. Did AM Stereo save the AM Band? What about Dolby FM? I mean a strong FM station will sound 10 times better than XM could ever sound. Everybody's knows about Howard Stern. Nobody knows about Dopie and Shithead. More ppl talk more about the NFL than they do about MLB. And the music Channels on Sirius are nicely programmed, with a great variety, unlike XM dedicating entire channels to corny ass shit and playing the same 50 songs ad nauseum on the decades/pop channels.

Try to pick an argument with me but you know it's f***in true.

-- Erich J. Schultheis ISP Owner.

Reply to
Erich J. Schultheis, The Man with the 15 inch Cock.

"Erich J. Schultheis, The Man with t" bravely wrote to "All" (29 Dec 05

01:22:03) --- on the heady topic of "Re: XM Begins 5.1 Surround Broadcasts"

EJST> From: "Erich J. Schultheis, The Man with the 15 inch Cock." EJST> Subject: Re: XM Begins 5.1 Surround Broadcasts EJST> Organization:

EJST> Xref: core-easynews alt.radio.satellite:23461 EJST> alt.fan.howard-stern:747396 alt.fan.opie-and-anthony:6414 EJST> sci.electronics.repair:352929 alt.support.shyness:489338

EJST> -- Erich J. Schultheis EJST> ISP Owner.

Oh, crap! Just what we needed, another cross-posting asshole.

A*s*i*m*o*v

... Wasted power is current squared times the resistance.

Reply to
Asimov