Will flat, modular, outsde the wall phone wire run DSL for 50 feet?

Remove the baseboard trim (skirting board??), and mill a grove for the flat or round wire behind it. The problem is that there's a danger of someone pounding a brad or staple into the baseboard trim, and hitting the cable.

It's really a pity that I can't find CAT5 with only two pairs of wires in the cable. It would be about 66% of the diameter of the common four pair CAT5.

You could also lift the carpet and route a shallow grove into the plywood subfloor for the flat CAT5 cable. Subfloors are 0.75" to

1.25" thick. 0.100 isn't going to weaken the flooring. Glue in place with hot melt glue. Fill the grove and cover with Fixall. Reinstall carpet with a carpet kicker. (I haven't tried this but it should work).
# 831-336-2558
# http://802.11junk.com               jeffl@cruzio.com
# http://www.LearnByDestroying.com               AE6KS
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

If the client ever wanted Gigabit Ethernet to that island, they'd be out of luck.

Reply to
Char Jackson

I meant to say that one of those three companies I looked at said the flat stuff had removeable edges, that could be used to staple the wire to the floor. I'll check which brand said that if you want me too.

Reply to
micky

True. The choice is fat cable, flat cable, or living with 100baseT. If the kitchen island computer is for grabbing recipies, then 100baseT should be adequate.

I'm wondering how the "island" is getting its AC power. Whatever route was used, might be paralleled with a network cable or conduit. If the floor is poured concrete, it's not going to happen. However, if it does have AC power, then perhaps a power line network (HomePlug) might be an easier fix. (Yeah, it's slow). If money is of no concern, just run fiber under the carpet, add two expensive media converters at each end, and be done with it.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

The target is an island section, so that won't achieve anything.

Just to clarify, the building construction is brick on concrete floor slab. Power to the island section is via conduit through the slab. You guys obviously use different construction materials/ methods ;-)

The option with the least impact was superflat under the carpet's foam underlay. There had been serious thought to chasing a conduit down the wall but that would have been both disruptive to the workstation and $$$. There was but a passing mention of EoP.

Reply to
who where

I live in a forest, where houses tend to made from wood. The big tree roots tend to make houses move around, so concrete slab foundations are not very popular (except when they can located on a sand pile).

Yeah, notching the concrete floor isn't going to work. Sorry(tm).

Going through the foam pad under the carpet will work. If thick enough, you might be able to use real CAT5.

What's EoP? Ethernet over Plumbing? If you can run fiber optic cable throught the sewers, you might be able to run fiber through the drains or water pipes. The fiber is easy, but the fiber to ethernet media converters are expensive.

If the island has power, you might consider power line networking (HomePlug).

Another possible is Multimedia over Coax:

Instead of the common RG-6a/u coax cable, use some really thin coax, such as RG-179b/u coax (0.100" OD). Use MoCA bridges on each side of the coax run. Or, if you can live with only 10Mbits/sec, use 50 ohm coax, such as RG-174/u (0.100" OD) and an old 10base2 hub as a media converter.

# 831-336-2558
# http://802.11junk.com               jeffl@cruzio.com
# http://www.LearnByDestroying.com               AE6KS
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

This is in suburbia, where the norm (at least here) is slab on compacted sand. If big tree roots cause a problem, that is the owner's concern, but practically none of the indigenous species cause this type of problem. The fig family of course is another story.

The foam is a Bridgestone product. It starts life around 1cm thick but compresses down with use to probably 4mm. Ratjher than trying to notch/groove it, going under it is a lot less work and the result - apart from being undetectable - is very well protected even against wheeled/dragged loads which can ripple the carpet.

Ethernet over power. "Reverse" of PoE.

See EoP above. But no services other than AC power.

There's plenty of 10base2 stuff available, but the speed compromise compared to Cat5E and the simplicity of the flat-cat would have ruled it out had we even considered it.

But yes, there a multitude of ways to skin that cat (ouch!) Superflat Cat5/5E under the carpet works best in terms of speed and cost.

Reply to
who where

In message , micky writes

The short answer is 'probably'. After all, if you are on an old type of phone system, a twin wire phone line has brought the DSL signal all the way from the exchange to your house. Another 50 feet isn't really going to make a lot of difference.

--
Ian
Reply to

Apparently the problem wasn't the twin wire, but the thin wire. Replacing it with round four-conductor 4-color wire (using only 2 of them) , (that I got out of the trash 20 or 30 years ago) actually a piece 10 or 20 feet longer than I took out, more than tripled my download speed.

The Verizon guy had told me that the special under the carpet (but not Cat-5, just wire) 4-conductor wire was no good.

I taped the space around the window, and II still haven't bought the flat CAT-5 for some reason.

P&M

Reply to
micky