ADSL and old wall phone

Hello,

I'm about to connect an ADSL modem to my phone line, but I have an old, pulse-dialling wall phone in another room, which I assume will interfere with the modem, so it has to be disconnected or a filter attached. I took the cover off and the cable has four wires, two pink and two yellow, attached to a board, each with a quick-connect connector. They aren't easy to get at, so I want to know what the minimum required is to disconnect it. That is, how many of the wires and how do I determine which ones? I have a volt meter.

Reply to
DavidW

Hello,

I'm about to connect an ADSL modem to my phone line, but I have an old, pulse-dialling wall phone in another room, which I assume will interfere with the modem, so it has to be disconnected or a filter attached. I took the cover off and the cable has four wires, two pink and two yellow, attached to a board, each with a quick-connect connector. They aren't easy to get at, so I want to know what the minimum required is to disconnect it. That is, how many of the wires and how do I determine which ones? I have a volt meter.

*** Just use a filter, they're only $7
Larry

Wall phone with no plug?

Two of the wires are used to talk to the exchange, the other two were used to mute the bells in other phones on the premesis during pulse dialing

I think it's blue and white that need the filter. it's the two that if you disconnect either of them the dial-tone goes away.

Jasen Betts

Yeah. Annoying. Other than side cutters, all I can do is hope the quick-connects aren't so tight I'll break something pulling them off.

Great. Thanks.

I connected the ADSL modem for the first time last night with the wall phone still connected. It worked, but it was slow (about 5 mbps download). It was just as slow today at 4 am. I know I'll have to disconnect or filter the wall phone if I want to use the line as a phone line while the internet is on, but I don't know if it's having any effect when it's on-hook.

Reply to
DavidW

Without the filter, most likely when it goes off-hook it will disrupt the internet connection until the ADSL modem sorts out the changed line parameters. same when it goes back on hook. during pulse dialing nothing will work.

Best fix may be to fit a whole-house filter and run a line from before the filter to serve the adsl modem.

in -----+---- filter ------ phones, alarms, fax machines etc. | `-- adsl modem

Basically the filter goes somewhere bear the start of the where the pne wires come into your house your existing wirng serves your existing phones. and you install a new branch for the modem.

If there's a branch from the first fork in the wiring that goes directly there already you just need to connect that branch before the filter - so long as the wires in that branch are good.

Jasen Betts

All the ADSL filters I've used take care of this internally:

/-- phones etc. in ---- filter ---+ \-- ADSL modem

--
Cheers,
Chris.

I think that would require getting a technician in. For the moment I'll use the filter (for the main phone) that was included with the modem. Thanks for your help.

I disconnected the wall phone. It wasn't too difficult to pull off the connectors. My speed went from ~5 mbps to ~6 mbps, but there's a lot of variability repeating the test so maybe it didn't make any difference.

Reply to
DavidW