Where to find capacitors !

I don't mean electrolytics here, yall know me better than that. I'm talking about those 1.6 Kv tuning caps across the primary of the flyback. (or yoke) Not a regular cap, the kind that takes the high voltage AC. Not a filter.

Surely the TV manufacturers don't make them. They are extremely similar or identical in many brands. They must buy them somewhere, and that somewhere must have other distributors. I've looked around at alot of generic parts distributors and have come up short. Even with 7 words in a Google searxch I get thousands of results, but many are engineering resources etc., not even sellers. I have tried, then when I get certain links the have 1600 pF caps at 15 volts and crap like that. Then using quotation marks gets you near no results at all.

If these people are used to dealing in bulk no problem. I can handle a minimum order of like 100, and would be buying about 7 or 8 different types. We have certain needs. I sent the kid (junior tech) to the basement today to look for a "163 1.6 KV", a .016 uF 1600 volt. Similarly we have had trouble finding certain other ones. I would get the popular ones too, but the .016 is intrinsic to a certain job. I would still keep 10 or 20 of them.

Believe it or not we still service some 9-1302 and 1673 based Zeniths, and the tubes just won't die. Fixing them is a chore, but after seeing some of the newer stuff we are going to avoid retiring them. As such we use aftermarket flybacks, and there is something you need to know. They are tuned a bit high. This may change thermally, but something does and makes it shut down (HVSD) in many many hours. We can only watch the thing for 8 hours, not enough.

The set worked perfectly in every other respect, I didn't even have to adjust the width, but. . . . Horizontal retrace was barely 10 uS. This is why it would shut down. The primary tuning of the circuit is done with a .013 uF, changing it to a .016 brings the errant flyback into spec.

I would also like to buy and stock some 400 volters.

Also what if I decided to build something with a flyback type supply ? Where would I go ?

JURB

Reply to
ZZactly

You tried to make your Google search too complicated. Since the capacitors you are looking for are high voltage types that fact should have been in your search criteria. Secondly, capacitors used around the EHT section are ceramic so you should have searched for 'high voltage ceramic capacitors'.

For example see

I'm sure there are plenty from other manfs but you can look for those.

Reply to
Ross Herbert

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote: As such we

The Chinese ones most certainly do this, plus the cores run hot and the flybacks fail in about a year when the TV is run for long periods. I have been using the H.R.Diemen flybacks for the last two years, and they have been plug and play, and no failures yet. I get them from Electronica.

You can get .016\1600 volts from RCA (it might be .0165), although of course you don't get a bulk rate. But what I do when I add capacitance to the tuning circuit is to add 332 or 472\2KV discs to the circuit. Normally, there are unoccupied holes from the collector of the HOT to ground somewhere, and you can easily drop in such a small disc cap somewhere. And since many TVs use these smaller value disc caps in addition to the large tuning cap, removing one or more can tune the circuit upwards when the voltage is too low.

And for general knowedge to the group, always check the HV when using a generic flyback, as the voltages on the secondary can often be off by quite a bit, even when the sub appears to work perfectly. I replaced a Panasonic flyback in an older 26" last week, and while it ran fine and didn't shut down, the filament voltage was 6.75 RMS. Because the HV probe showed 28KV, I fudged the filament dropping resistor instead, getting the voltage to 6.2 by trying several values. At 6.75, the tube would have been gone in a year.

John

Reply to
John-Del

snip

Love to ask: What should be for correct retrace time? (where you note the beginning and ending of the retrace time).

Sometimes like this is very enlightening!

Cheers, Wizard

Reply to
Jason D.

Sorry it took so long. The retrace time in an NTSC set is about 12.5 uS.

With the aftermarket flys I've seen it below 10 uS, and the set shuts down. In less severe cases it could take many hours to shut down.

JURB

Reply to
ZZactly