What's the scoop on universal remotes ??

Yesterday I bought probably my fifth universal remote only to return it an hour later !! These remotes don't work - I don't care what the paperwork that comes with it says !! Is there a way to know for sure what brand universal remotes work best with what products ??

moonlite

Reply to
moonlite

moonlite: Use the original factory remote to easily get all the dedicated functions available on your equipment. If you must have a universal remote, stay away from the cheapies for $15 or less. Usually if you get the better remotes like "One for All" and some of the Radio Shack more expensive remotes you will have a better chance of success..... however, the factory original remotes are the only way to go.

-- Best Regards, Daniel Sofie Electronics Supply & Repair

sofie

Think about that statement for a minute. Isnt it more likely that:

(1) The device you're trying to control has a bad remote sensor. (2) You didnt follow the programming instructions correctly. (3) You got tired of pressing the ON button 347 times to try each code. (4) You blew by the setting that turns on your device. (5) You have an empty beer can, or a half-eaten Subway sandwitch, or a smear of ketchup in front of the TV's remote control sensor.

Reply to
Ancient_Hacker

some remotes work on some things and not ther other.

Reply to
crazy frog

I agree. I had one that I tried for someone once that would not work with that particular set. To make sure, I went down the list in the manual, copied ALL the codes into Excel, sorted in order, pulled out all the duplicates, and then went down the list in order, one by one. No dice. Tried another remote and it worked fine.

WT

***
Reply to
Wayne Tiffany

Never had a problem with the basic controls of a set. Ask one of the kids to set it up for ya! They can be confusing. : - )

Reply to
rb

What devices are you trying to control? (model, brand etc) and what remotes have you tried? Personally, I use a One For All URC-8910 and it works on everything I have including my light dimmer. Was about $30 a couple years ago.

Reply to
427Cobraman

I bought a One For All URC4041, which works well for everything but my stereo system and my DVD player. The reason it won't work with the DVD is my player (CyberHome CH-DVD300) will work only with its own remote and no other (there is nothing wrong with the player; it's the way the darn thing is designed). Why the URC4041 doesn't work with my stereo, an Aiwa bookshelf system (CX-NA888--AM/FM, dual cassette, 3 CD changer), however, is beyond me at this point. I've tried every setup code in the manual, ran the code search (yes, I pressed the power button at least 100 times with no luck), did everything I could think of, but this remote simply will not operate the stereo. I was able to get the remote to operate one function of the stereo system (power on-off) at one point several months ago, but I can't get it to do even that anymore. As I said, everything else in my entertainment system, including the Motorola cable box used with my digital cable TV service, responds to the OFA remote just as it should. The stereo system (which works well using its own remote) was built by Aiwa some half-dozen years ago; could this be why it does not respond to the OFA remote?

Jeff, WB8NHV Fairport Harbor, Ohio USA

Reply to
Jeff, WB8NHV

For a universal remote to work with a device, the manufacturer of the universal must program it with the correct codes for that device. There are literally thousands of codes and no remote supports all of them. Sometimes you have to try several remotes before you find one that will work with a certain device. I've even seen remotes that work with the Cyberhome DVD player you mentioned. If you still have the original remotes, a learning remote may be the only answer. Andy Cuffe

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com

Reply to
Andy Cuffe