What software is the simplest to use on Motorola HC08 development?

I am trying to get started in mpu development. I have a Nitron HC08 development board and Metrowerks evaulation software but I am having a lot of trouble getting things to work. Every step is an effort. I think back to my days at school typing in the op codes with a keypad. It was error prone and repetitive but way more efficient then what I have been able to accomplish so far. Lots of changes from 14 years ago.

The code I have written and flashed in, (verified it's there) never runs. The PC starts at $FFFF, goes to $1, then resets due to not being able to go into background mode,it then goes to $FFEA and stays up in that region. I never setup the COP, reset vector should be taken care of by the Metrowerks software (I am modifying the standard skeleton code that the software sets up). I haven't been able to figure out that problem and am now thinking there has to be an easier way to get started.

Cosmic seems to be used a lot. I am not sure how difficult that is to setup for the HC08 using the mono8 debugger.

Right now I am just doing hobby work and do not want to spend a lot of money on a software package. I was hoping an evaluation copy would be enough. Any suggestions?

Reply to
js1180

a lot

back to

prone

runs.

to go

region. I

Metrowerks

sets

thinking

setup

of money

enough. Any

I had the same experience: the Metrowerks software seemed to have too steep a learning curve. Eventually I downloaded an excellent, much smaller version of the IDE/assembler/debugger from P&E Micro (ISC08something) that was much easier to progress with: the app's handholding and second-guessing were almost non-existent. Another recommendation: take the time to get the User-Mode Monitor Access code into your device. Add this to the excellent debugger and programming the '08 really became as understandable and _much_ faster than back in the day. The program counter should start at FFFE, not FFFF Keep at it Wade Hassler

Reply to
wade_h

If you read German (or can get it translated) there is a paper on implementing nanoForth. Forth is a reasonably easy environment to deal with new hardware and with this part of the work is done for you. It will, however, allow you to explore further.

You might also be able to get ChipForth for the processor from Computer Solutions Ltd. of Forth Inc at a reasonable price these days. Alternatively, a search on "Forth for 68hc08) yields a number of interesting links (not all will be Forth related).

Paul E. Bennett ....................
Forth based HIDECS Consultancy .....
Mob: +44 (0)7811-639972 .........NOW AVAILABLE:- HIDECS COURSE......
Tel: +44 (0)1235-811095 .... see http://www.feabhas.com for details.
Paul E. Bennett

Codewarrior is an excellent toolset that produces good-quality code, but it is difficult to set up - when we started with the HCS08 we did try serial download, but rapidly moved on to the Multilink ICD - I'm not sure we ever got the serial debugger working properly.

We're very pleased with the HCS08-multilink combination (once we understood the strange licensing issues with the P&E debugger), but it isn't necessarily a hobbyist setup. We breifly evaluated the Cosmic offering, and it looked similar - you may have the same problems with serial download.

An ICD system may cost $200, but 14 years ago the only high-level debug option was to buy or rent a $10,000 processor emulator, so things have improved a bit...

Jeremy Bentham Iosoft Ltd.

Reply to
Jeremy Bentham