what are these 8pin smd parts - serial interface

Hi there,

Got a blown serial interface board, and I'm trying to find what are the two 8pin chips on one side of the PCB, pictured here:

One chips has 452, 307 on two lines, the other has 300, 348 on two lines.

I've read that the top number is last three digits of part number, and the bottom number is YWW date code, it's reasonable that both chips were made in 2003.

The SMD code site mentioned recently skips both numbers :(

Top of photo shows the nine pin serial connector, there's a couple diodes, some resistors and a transistor on the board, other side of board has some more components and a 5V regulator. Board is powered from single supply with one wire for signaling, I have no further idea how it works -> black box (some sort of motor controller) to serial port.

TIA, Grant.

Reply to
Grant

They look rather thick, so may be optoisolators.

Reply to
Mike Harrison

I'd guess an HCPL-0452 optocoupler for one. The connections seem to match with the inputs and NC pins, and the Vcc/Gnd seem to make sense with the 200/330 ohm voltage divider if there's a 5 V supply. Serial input isolator and level translator?

The "300" is most likely from the same manufacturer, what with the similar marking placement and style, but given the ubiquitous 300 thou pitch form factor, there are a cubic butt-ton of parts ending in 300.

--
Rich Webb     Norfolk, VA
Reply to

Yes, my first thought, but the traces don't follow pattern for the

8pin optos I checked. Tried dual transistor out, and dual hi-speed with Vcc and Gnd on output (pins 5 - 8) side.

Grant.

Reply to
Grant

Thanks! Yep, just checked the datasheet, looks very likely :)

Yes, it's a 5V supply, a blown 78L05 is on other side of PCB.

That's the problem I had, sites I searched refused to do a proper *300 search and returned all sorts of unrelated stuff. Maybe now I can narrow down to the two manufacturers I found with a datasheet, Fairchild and Agilent.

Thanks, Grant.

Reply to
Grant

HCPL-0300 or HCPL-2300 seems likely? Low input current opto-coupler.

Another couple views:

Grant.

Reply to
Grant

Perhaps an HCPL-3000, which is motor controller interface/driver and so it matches with the application. Hard to tell from the picture, though. In that shot, it looks like pin 7 (which would be Gnd) is floating, so maybe not.

--
Rich Webb     Norfolk, VA
Reply to

Yep, that seems to match the footprint. Pin 7 on the HCPL-x300 has an internal pull-up so leaving it NC on the board would fit.

--
Rich Webb     Norfolk, VA
Reply to

Thanks for checking the footprints. Really appreciate it :)

When I repair the thing I'll add some protective components so withstands the abuse that busted it this time.

Grant.

Reply to
Grant