Weller WTCPT tip not hot enough

I certainly don't know all the legal ins and outs, but my previous employer certainly made things that were shipped to all parts of the world. It was custom scientific gear, however, and certainly not any kind of a commercial mass-marketed product, so it remains exempt. They report that the exemptions get stricter every year, so they expect to have to deal with RoHS eventually and are just hoping for now that it remains a far distant problem.

My friend did check with one of the techs today and was told that they have occasionally had to repair lead free boards that had come as part of more commercial products. He reports that it was quite hard to get the dead RoHS parts out of the board.

-

Jim Adney

Yes indeed - for all of the reasons discussed. A lot of it is to do with technique using the stuff, and if your friend doesn't have cause to work with it much, then he will not develop the necessary skills. I have a repair service for a particular LCD TV power supply board which is manufactured in lead-free. Almost invariably, when I receive them, someone has already 'had a go'. So the first thing I have to do is to clean up all their unskilled soldering work on electrolytics and so on that they have replaced. Often, once this has been done, the board then works ok, so ironically for them, they probably actually found and corrected the original fault, and then destroyed their diagnostic work, by compounding the problem with unsatisfactory soldering - which has almost always been carried out with standard leaded solder, which is not only illegal, strictly speaking, but ill-advised for reasons discussed elsewhere on the thread.

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

May The Lord save us ! ;~)