Extending Soldering Tip Life

I'm currently using rosin core solder and sometimes I use no clean flux and water soluble flux..

I wonder if I could add sometime to that damp sponge on the solder station to help with tip life.. Maybe neutralize the flux with some household item?. Maybe add machine dish washer soap? NaOH, NaH3?

No I haven't been using my solder tip to melt open power adapters :)

D from BC

Don't know what you are doing but my tips live almost forever. AFAIK lead-free solder can ruin them faster.

So you only used it to light cigarettes then :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

Buy an Ersa soldering iron and tips. The tips usually last longer than the iron.

--
Reply to nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

Visit

. Sal Ammoniac is Ammonium Cloride (NH4Cl). Rubbing a hot tip on a block of Sal Ammoniac is a very efective way of cleaning the tip. You can also dissolve a few tablespoons in a cup of water, and quickly immerse and remove the tip from the solution. If you do this slowly, it doesn't work. You might try absorbing some of the solution into your cleaning sponge. I haven't tried this, so I don't know if it works or not. Sheet metal workers and stained glass artisans have been using this stuff for years. The fumes are obnoxious, but not extremly toxic. Regards, Kral

Reply to
Jon

clean

solder

Buy an Ersa soldering iron and tips. The tips usually last longer than the iron.

--
Reply to nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
D from BC

Hakko is also nice. Inexpensive but perform very well. Tons of tips available. I have two stations, this helps a lot since you don't stress out one iron with all the work, esp heating up large mass. I find Weller to be "eh", I don't like the system for the tips, looks like there can't be too much heat transferred from the heater. No-clean is damaging to the tips, a black substance forms on the tips that's hard to get rid of and seems to be harmful. Use brass wool "sponge" instead of cellulose.

Reply to
a7yvm109gf5d1

Now I just wish Ersa was available in the US. That's what I had in Europe a lot, now it's all Weller. The big Bertha is still an Ersa and needs 230V. Almost big enough to do a plumbing job.

Anyhow, even though I use Kester No-Clean the tips remain in good shape. Of course, I don't let the iron idle through a lunch hour and stuff like that.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

snipped-for-privacy@comic.com (D from BC) wrote in news:tghih.505033$5R2.146756@pd7urf3no:

molten solder leaches metal away from the iron tip,that's what causes the tip to degrade,not the flux.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Jim Yanik

snipped-for-privacy@comic.com (D from BC) wrote in news:tghih.505033$5R2.146756@pd7urf3no:

clean

solder

adapters

molten solder leaches metal away from the iron tip,that's what causes the tip to degrade,not the flux.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
D from BC

I have been searching for a while for a decent recipe for iron plating soldering iron tips. I have a large collection of eroded Metcal tips. These are quite expensive and would be worth cleaning and re plating them in one go.

Regards,

Boris Mohar

void _-void-_ in the obvious place

Boris Mohar

On a sunny day (Wed, 20 Dec 2006 21:49:00 GMT) it happened snipped-for-privacy@puntnl.niks (Nico Coesel) wrote in :

mmm last ersa I had the iron lasted a week.... :-) But that was long ago. Indeed I suspec ttips is big bussiness, many 'long life' tips start corroding rather fast at the not prepared end it seems. Yes I use them to weld plastics too ;-)

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

I have a Weller station and tips. Current tip has been in there for about 2 years now, and still looks fine. It's on for 10-20 hours a week at 350 deg C. I don't bother turning it off when I expect to be using it again, so on some days it stays on all the time. Sometimes I forget to turn it off, and it even stays on all night. The first time that happened, I noticed the tip had actually cleaned itself.

Occasionally I even use it to melt plastic or to fix hot-melt glue. I just wipe the tip off as best as I can, and leave it on for a few hours to clean itself. I have no special cleaners, and use regular tap water on the sponge.

Reply to
Arlet

Use "Savbit" solder, it is already saturated with copper and doesn't cause nearly as much erosion. With Weller TCP iron-plated bits and Savbit solder, I was getting over 200 days' use from each bit a few years ago when I was soldering for several hours a day.

--
~ Adrian Tuddenham ~
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Adrian Tuddenham

Thats what I suspected: Weller makes you pay for their tips until you stop soldering.

--
Reply to nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

On a sunny day (Thu, 21 Dec 2006 16:32:01 GMT) it happened snipped-for-privacy@puntnl.niks (Nico Coesel) wrote in :

I have this one, it is great, switches off automatically, was only 65 Euro, and now is it its fifth year? Not sure.

Still OK after >3 years.... Very nice thing, very good temp control, had to modify the stand so it would not slide. I threw the Weller out, this is much better value for money.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Over night? I wouldn't do that.

While you mentioned tap water: In the US that is often heavily chlorinated. In our area the chlorine content can be higher than the pool water. So I use filtered water for the iron sponge.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

I don't do that on purpose, but it has happened two or three times. However, it is sometimes on continuously during the day. I know it's not recommended, but after 2 years, the tip is still shiny and has good wettability. In fact, when I turn it off right after using it, it will start to accumulate black crud that is hard to remove later. When I leave it on, it apparently burns off all the crud.

I live in the Netherlands, and our tap water isn't chlorinated, or at least not to a level where you can detect it.

Reply to
Arlet

I don't ever recall seeing an iron clean itself. If left on and above 600 drgrees, I see my tips get black and form a very hard layer. I have a solder sucker iron that stays on about 800, and is terrible to clean. I usually use a brass sink cleaner or a watered sponge.

greg

Reply to
GregS
[...]

It doesn't need to be - it's already been filtered through three Germans.

--
~ Adrian Tuddenham ~
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Adrian Tuddenham

Sorry, I just don't believe this. Every Weller magnastat soldering iron I've used needed its tip replaced on a regular interval. After a while the tip just won't wet properly at some locations and this gets worse over time. If you use a big tip on big joints, this isn't a problem because in most cases you can find a spot that will wet. However when you use a very fine tip to solder 0.5mm SMT devices you'll find the tip will go bad (become useless) very quickly! This is why I throw out the Weller soldering stations whenever I can.