Weller EC2002M-O and EC1302A service manual

I have a Weller soldering station. It is a model EC2002M-O Power Unit and EC1302A pencil. I am trying to obtain some service information. Anyone know if the service manual available somewhere? I suspect that the heating element and/or thermal sensor in the EC1302A are bad but before I start ordering replacement parts, I want to test it a bit more.

Thanks

-Dan

Reply to
danmc91

Send me your email address, and I 'll send you a manual copy..

Reply to
Mhound

I picked up a "free" 2002 a few years ago, thinking that it looked nice and the price was right. Well, when I got it home I found that the control board in it was dead, so we bought a new board for ~$80. That fixed it up nicely, and we used it occasionally for about 3 years, then it stopped controlling. The temp sensor had gone open; that cost ~$50, IIRC.

I've always used the Weller WTCPx models, and those have been ultra reliable for me for years. I bought one nearly 30 years ago and I JUST had to replace the heater. Other than the sponge, that's the very first thing to go wrong.

The 2002 SEEMED like a nice unit, but it's complex inside and complexity detracts from reliability. The WTCPx models are super simple and it shows in their long term reliability.

In all honesty, I recommend that you discard your 2002 and go to ebay and buy a used WTCPx for ~$35. Even if it comes with problems, you can fix it up and still have less invested in it than in repairing your

2002. Plus you get better reliability.

The WTCPx irons are temp controlled: The temp is controlled by the tip so you change the tip to change the temp. I've NEVER even wanted anything other than the standard 700F tip (marked with a 7 on the back.) You can get 600, 700, and 800F tips. They are cheap.

I have one recommendation on a fix you should perform on any WTCPx that you buy: Open up the case, take the output connector apart, and SOLDER the wires to the connector sockets. Reassemble. If you do that, it will treat you right, and you'll come to love this iron

Note: The early WTCPx irons have a one-piece power unit/iron stand, while the later ones come as separate units, like your 2002. I like the early, simpler version, but you may prefer the smaller, separate stand. Buy the style you prefer.

-

Jim Adney

EC259B Heater Assy EC222A Sensor Assembly

With a VOM you can measure the DC resistance of the heater and thermocouple/temp sensor. Parts are available from Action Electronics through their Internet ordering web page

Within the past 2 weeks - temperature sensors and heaters for the 13xx series handpieces (soldering irons) have sold on eBay for very reasonable prices ! ===

Jim - Yes I advise most electronics hobbyists to stick with the WTCPx series. The Weller "EC" series was officially discontinued in 2002 (about the same time North Carolina mfg. operations were shut down and moved to Mexico). ===

It is a TRIAC and a small processor for temperature measure from sensor, front dial setting and digital temperature readout for the 2002 series. Yes - it is complex and NOT readily repairable by many DIY - just some you can have an adjustable knob that is rarely used. The beginners mistake in soldering with these units is to change the temperature (via the idiot knob) - rather than correctly selecting the tip PROFILE (screwdriver, conical, flat,etc.) and WIDTH (1/32"; 3/64"; 1/16"; 3/32"; 5/64"; 1/8").

In fact, no one ever mentions that these units actually have to be CALIBRATED on a regular basis - to assure that the dial/readout is correct for the temperature desired.

Jim - are you saving that some units you have seen were not properly soldered? I have never seen this (and I have been repairing the WTCPx series for 30 years now). The 2 parts that need replaced on WTCPx series that are bad: EC234/TC208 heater and 3 amp fuse inside the base unit.

Weller had 4 major styles (designs) for the WTCPx soldering station series.

Original TCP1/PU-1; W-TCP; WTCP-L WTCPK (Special metal box made for the military under gov't contract) WTCPN; WTCPR; WTCPZ WTCPS; WTCPT

I still repair these and have a supply on NOS parts that are no longer available from Weller for this series.

Greg

Reply to
gb

It should be easy to test the heating element for resistance. I've seen bad cables on a few Weller irons, so it's worth checking all 5 conductors. What does the temperature display read? If it's not around room temp, the sensor, or control board is bad. If it does read the correct temp, there should be 24v going to the heater. If not, the control board is bad. Andy Cuffe

snipped-for-privacy@psu.edu

Reply to
Andy Cuffe

I've never seen them come soldered. In my experience they always just come crimped. Most of the time this is okay, but when they crimp to a solid wire, which is often, they this connection seems to fail within about a year, The connection heats up and melts the connector. They're impossible to fix at that point, unless you have a replacement connector.

I've probably never seen the first version, and certainly never the second. My experience has all been with the latter 2.

-

Jim Adney

Jim - I just checked. I have about 5 of the socket connector / plug (TC369A or PL120) kits in stock.

The TCP series, as you noted was originally directly wired to the power base unit. First by external binding posts to a bakelite base unit -- then internally inside the base unit. Weller came up with a 3 pin plug and socket in the late 1970s (WTCPN era and first EC series stations). The NA version fo the TCP conenctor is unique (most likely a special mfg. connector by AMP or Weller)

Weller primarily uses the AMP connector series (available from DigiKey) for its other station models (EC, WES, WEC, WSD, etc)

In fact if you look very carefully at an EC1201A or TC-201T iron --- the EC234 "plug in" heater plugs into a black socket adapter atop the handle. These 3 socket pins are same as iron conenctors used for other Weller AND almost all Pace soldering stations - they are all crimp.

Page 256 of DigiKey catalog upper left corner (Audio/Instrument conenctors - DIN style made by AMP) are the parts for any repairs on those stations

A25082-ND (Amp 207438-3) Connector pins A25083-ND (AMp 207437-3) Connector sockets

The UK / EU designs are slightly different and use a 3-pin Bulgen connnector.

AMP Hand crimp tool [90363-1]

I have got about 5 of the W-TCP (blue) and 2 WTCP-L in stock. I worked on the original 1950s bakelite in the 1970s -- but have not seen one (except for eBay) for several years.

Fair Radio Sales sold a number of the WTCPK about 8 years ago (gov't surplus sale)

Greg

Reply to
gb