WEIRD problem with CD player

An Onkyo player I once worked on had a small, barely visible crack in a worm gear (part of the sled assly.). The gear was still gripping the rod it was attached to OK, but on ocasions, and sometimes when used at other angles, it would bind against its driver cog and lock the sled. this caused some odd symptoms and intermittent operation.Maybe worth getting a magnifying glass out anc checking the condition of any plastic gears etc.

-B.

Great idea - except this sled is driven by linear motors on each side.

I'm going to try to raise the rail and see how long that works

thanks for your inputs.

Reply to
bill

Does this unit have any presets for Focus and tracking gain / offset /error adjustment. What if an electrolytic in the focus circuitry has drifted a bit in value causing improper gain or bias?. The objective lense might not traverse through the required excursion for an FOK flag to be generated. Tilting the lense would put it on an inclined plane, less drive would be required for it to traverse enough for good focus, FOK is read, spindle is switched on.

Reply to
jango2

Does this unit have any presets for Focus and tracking gain / offset /error adjustment. What if an electrolytic in the focus circuitry has drifted a bit in value causing improper gain or bias?. The objective lense might not traverse through the required excursion for an FOK flag

to be generated. Tilting the lense would put it on an inclined plane, less drive would be required for it to traverse enough for good focus, FOK is read, spindle is switched on. I've seen this "jump" or "search" capacitor hanging in the periphery of the servo ic quite often. Can't remember if it's in the focus or tracking servo. Jango

Reply to
jango2

Hi Jango - how's it going ? Long time no speak. This scenario is possible, but I can't say that I've ever had such a fault. It was suggested early on that various adjustments were tried, but I advised the OP against it unless he had the necessary service info and expertise in CD player repair, as I felt that there was almost certainly a much simpler, probably mechanical explanation for the symptoms, and that inappropriate twiddling might well compound the problem. It's actually pretty rare to have to ever adjust any of these pots from their original settings, in my experience. However, it might now be the time to try a very small adjustment one way and then the other of the focus offset pot, after first carefully marking, or measuring the position that the pot is originally set at, to see if it can be persuaded to work on the flat.

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

Hi Mr. Darby, Good to see you helping people out with their tech travails. I haven't forgotten the assistance u gave me with those crazy cd mechanisms. I've had a couple of cases where focus bias or tracking offset needed to be tweaked. Can't wait till Bill cracks this one. Happy 2007 All.

Reply to
jango2

All this talk of CDP-302 got me to finally repair mine. Disc tray pulleys all gummed up with that 'wonderful' Sony oil that turns to peanut butter. Clean / lube and runs properly. I forgot what good servos that machine has. Thanks for the reminder.

GG

Reply to
stratus46