Weak Link in Well Pump Electrical Chain?

Have been having an ever increasing start problem with my well pump. Noticed that sometimes it would start OK if jiggled the on off switch. Will add that we have mainly been using the on off switch by the pump control panel because we have been trying to clean the water storage tank.

Was surprised when removed the switch because it was a Hubbell 15A

120-277V AC only. Since the circuit breaker is 20A 240V thought it would be at least the same or larger.

Since I will be replacing the switch am wondering if it is cost effective to go to a 30A or higher switch under the assumption that there will be a longer life expectancy since it will be operating more conservatively. The "Real World Aspect" cost for a 20A is ~ $6.77 while a 30A is ~ $10.47

Have done a couple searches but have not really found anything.http://www.google.com/search?q=life+expectancy+on+off+switches&hl=en&lr=&start=10&sa=N Am guessing the switch mfrs have done a cost benefit analysis but do not know if they have published anything.

Appreciate any comments!

Gene OHara

Reply to
genosmm

anything.http://www.google.com/search?q=life+expectancy+on+off+switches&hl=e n&lr=&start=10&sa=N

The correct switch should be a single phase motor starting switch. Normal household switches are not rated for the full load starting current of a motor. The contacts will wear out sooner. Also these motor switches are 2 pole. They disconnect both wires from the load. If I couldnt find a motor switch I would use a higher current 2 pole switch ,like the 30 amp. Hope that helps Roy

Reply to
Roy and Rosa

" snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com" bravely wrote to "All" (23 Aug 05 14:23:41) --- on the heady topic of "Weak Link in Well Pump Electrical Chain?"

ge> From: snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com ge> Xref: core-easynews sci.electronics.repair:340473

ge> Have been having an ever increasing start problem with my well pump. ge> Noticed that sometimes it would start OK if jiggled the on off switch. ge> Will add that we have mainly been using the on off switch by the pump ge> control panel because we have been trying to clean the water storage ge> tank.

ge> Was surprised when removed the switch because it was a Hubbell 15A ge> 120-277V AC only. Since the circuit breaker is 20A 240V thought it ge> would be at least the same or larger.

ge> Since I will be replacing the switch am wondering if it is cost ge> effective to go to a 30A or higher switch under the assumption that ge> there will be a longer life expectancy since it will be operating more ge> conservatively. The "Real World Aspect" cost for a 20A is ~ $6.77 ge> while a 30A is ~ $10.47

ge> Have done a couple searches but have not really found ge> anything.http://www.google.com/search?q=3dlife+expectancy+on+off+switches ge> &hl=3den&lr=3d&start=3d10&sa=3dN Am guessing the switch mfrs have done a cost ge> benefit analysis but do not know if they have published anything.

ge> Appreciate any comments!

ge> Gene OHara

I think any switch contacts would benefit from a snubber network. This keeps the spark down, from inductive loads such as motors, and prolongs contact life by a large margin. Perhaps even the reason your original contacts burned is because the existing snubber is open circuit to begin with! A 30A switch might be harder to burn out but not impossible with the right inductive kickback and no snubber. In theory at least...

A*s*i*m*o*v

... You mean 15" sparks are SUPPOSED to come out of this thing?!?

Reply to
Asimov