Laserjet repair 'Service 50' error

Found a good site for printer repair information and parts:

Not only do they sell repair kits but if you look under the reference links, there are service manuals for many printers.

I was getting an intermittent 'service 50' error (fuser) for the last few years on our Laserjet 4MV. We had replaced the fuser about four years ago because the paper kept sticking to the roller. Worked very well for the most part. When we got the error again, I tore into it and found that the door interlock switch was flaky. This is a Chery F85, three-pole plunger switch. One set of contacts is in series with the fuser lamp and the contacts were slightly burnt. Made it seem that the fuser was open and threw the code. Pain in the tail to get to the switch but got it out, cleaned and burnished the contacts then applied 'Deoxit' to them. Switch is obsolete but was lucky that it could be disassembled to clean the contacts. I've also seen some comments about the normally closed Klixon safety switch in series with the fuser lamp getting intermittent opens. Produces the same service 50 error.

Reply to
Oppie

Contact cleaner is a one way ticket to the dumpster. If a contact is worn out the only viable option is to replace the switch or connector.

nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

Agreed with contact cleaner that affects the contact resistance long term. Deoxit has proved to work rather well in the applications I've tested it in. Besides, as written, switch is obsolete and no longer available. Check it out and see what you think

Oppie

Did you check Honeywell or Panasonic? IIRC they make these kind of switches. Digikey, Mouser, Farnell, etc may carry them.

nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

Do you have room to add a relay? You could extend the life of the switch by having it switch relay coil current instead of fuser lamp current.

Ed

Reply to
ehsjr

Many more important things to do about the lab than fix the printer. No budget to replace it (it's a large format, 11x17). When it's working, has a GREAT halftone range. I read that it was originally sold for graphic arts and uses a Canon print engine. I print out all the schematics and artwork on it. I think that we got it as a close-out special about 10 years ago at $1500.

There is NO space in there at all to hack something in. Absolutely amazing how HP squeezed all those parts into such a compact format. If I went the relay route, would have to put the it outboard. For now it's working and I'll keep an eye on it.

Regards - Oppie

Reply to
Oppie

Not even second hand? The situation may be completely different over there but over here the large HP printers are sold pretty cheap. Especially old models like you have.

OTOH a new printer isn't that expensive anymore. I paid less than $300 for a new HP printer (business model) including a network interface. My previous printer was over $2000.

nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

Appreciate that. I did check a couple of years ago and B size laser printers weren't cheap. Business really stinks here and no budget for anything. At present, I get paid for 32 hours and wind up working (on my own initiative) 40+ just to get product into the pipe. Last four years here have been a joke. Time for a new president that will really create a positive economic climate. I would have taken Kane over Gingrich but looks like Romney will be the Republican choice. Where in the Netherlands are you? Part of my family hails from Amsterdam.

Reply to
Oppie

I have a Brother B-size inkjet all-in-one that I paid $300 for. eBay usually has HP5000-series B-size printers for $400 or so iirc.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

If I may ask: what is your employer's core business?

I'd rather go out and find a way to make money than having to rely on politics. And yes that is difficult. Anybody who says that the US should go back to production work is an idiot. Education is the key to stay ahead.

China and India are already doing the production and there are many countries waiting to take over when they get too expensive. If you want to be succesfull you either have to mass produce a product or find (stumble upon) a local niche.

I live close to Amsterdam but that is mainly due to my wife wanting to move. My family originates from and around Amsterdam though.

nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

=20

has a=20

Network interfaces are almost standard on laser printers in the US now. I bought a duplex laser printer with wired and 802.11g network for about US$200.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk