Vizio VX20L

Neighbor's TV. Complaint of poor image quality. I fixed her Dell LCD monitor, replacing a few caps and a driver so she hopes I can help her again. Powers on, sound is fine. Image is stable but quality is noticeably poor. Using the cable input, factory default settings are washed out. Custom settings work but best balance between brightness and contrast still leaves a lot be be desired. The quality might be described as an old CRT TV on a bad day. Using the RGB [VGA] input, colors are way off. Would not be useable as a monitor. I removed the back and my ESR found no bad caps. No obvious failures. This is problem too subtle for me. Any hints on how to proceed? Thanks.

Reply to
John Keiser

OK. I figured out how to access the factory service menu [this model: while in menu press vol- and input]. All of the color settings and offsets were near maximum for all temperature choices. The standard "reset" of settings did not effect these. Lowering them significantly made a big difference. Still not a great set but could now function as a monitor and is suitable for TV.

Reply to
John Keiser

Reply to
John Keiser

The specs say this model has a "700:1" contrast ratio. Does that explain anything?

Reply to
John Keiser

poor.

an

as a

.

maybe, that's a very low number compared to what most sets claim.

Reply to
hrhofmann

My neighbor seems happy but her sight is not so good. This model got very nice reviews for a clear, hi res picture. Personally, I think something is still wrong when I compare to my normal PC monitor or LED TV. But it is beyond my abilities to figure out how everything functions "almost" perfectly but leaves the quality slightly deficient. Total failure mode can be easier in that regard. If anyone has any idea what would cause diminished dynamic range, please post. Thanks.