Viewsonic PS775 Question

I found this Viewsonic PS775 monitor in the to-be-recycled pile at the office. All the new monitors are LCDs and the old ones are not necessarily bad when they get rid of them so I thought I would check it out as a upgrade to a older (early 90s vintage) PC I use occasionally for CAD work at home. I hooked it up to my fairly new laptop and it worked although there was a distortion in the screen about 1-2" down from the top. Like a mild horizontal tear. Got the same results with my newer desktop that I have a LCD monitor on normally. OK, figured that was why it was in the pile. Just for the heck of it I hooked it up to this older PC and it seems perfectly fine. Why could this be? Different scan freq? Just wondering. It sure is a improvement over the 13" (I think) monitor on that old PC, especially for doing CAD work. Why did/does it have this problem in the first place, bad yoke or some caps someplace?

Reply to
JH

I think you're on the right track. My guess would be bad caps someplace that affects the unit's ability to lock onto certain scan rate(s). Without a schematic, try an ESR meter, (unplugged, of course) and concentrate around the vertical deflection area, probing particularly the electrolytics on the board in areas of high heat (board darkened, browned, etc.) - beg or borrow one, as buying one for just this unit wouldn't be economical unless you intend to repair many of these ;-)

Reply to
Haywire1