USB and webcams

Let's say i have 4 identical usb webcams, i want to use those as a security system. Sounds great, but i have found so far only programs with usb support that do only one camera, unless you wish to pay top dollar. Could i make a small circuit to quickly switch the usb leads? In other words, usb has four wires, could i just put a simple switcher between the 5V lines? If all cameras are identical, it should work if i buffer the 5V with a cap, or not? If above should work, what would be the most easy circuit to switch 1 input to 4 outputs?

Bart Bervoets

Reply to
Bart Bervoets

Why not use the network cameras and software designed for this kind of job?

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

On Mon, 18 Sep 2006 15:57:37 +0200, Bart Bervoets Has Frothed:

Active WebCam

COOSN-266-06-25794
Reply to
Meat Plow

Bart.... I did a quick Google on 'multiple webcam freeware' and came up with some good looking prospects for you. They seem grouped in two type; one that uses one driver and spits the input, the with separate drivers for each device. HTH Regards Lee

Reply to
Lee

Can you send me a mail, maybe you can code something specific or have something what i need. Thanks

Bart Bervoets

Reply to
Bart Bervoets

Actually, that active webcam program might do the trick, i try the demo and see.

Bart Bervoets

Reply to
Bart Bervoets

when you say top dollar what are you referring too? i have coded applications before showing all video cam's or sources available on the PC at once. you must remember how ever that bandwidth is a problem with USB. for best performance using a USB router is not good. what does work good how ever is the wireless network cam's etc...

--
Real Programmers Do things like this.
http://webpages.charter.net/jamie_5

sure, just send me one first, my e-mail is at the webpage listed below. we can talk from there.